My chicken is pecking and chasing her friends when ever they try to get a drink or eat!

kajetanwycz

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
Atlanta, Georgia
I have 3 chickens, 2 of them are Easter Eggers and 1 of them is a Swedish Flower. Recently, my Swedish Flower started attacking her friends when they tried to eat/drink from their food and water supplies or getting treats, even if the Swedish Flower wasn't eating/drinking at the moment. She would chase them around and peck hard, then go back to doing what she was doing. (She didn't eat the feathers) I don't think it is a pecking order thing, because I've watched videos on it and usually the highest chicken in the pecking order pecks them lightly. I can't really separate any of them because I don't have any other structures besides the main coup, and other than the food and water situations they seem to behave just fine together. What is happening and what do I do?

Add additional feeders and waters. This may be a long term thing or the bully may stop in a few days. You don’t have to go buy and expensive water or feeder, I used 2 liter bottles and cut a troth like opening in the sides (think original subway bread cut). I have them literally zip tied to the coop run. I add food in 2 of them and water in another. The water usually isn’t used but it gives the lower on the pecking order a place to run if needed. The feeders are used like crazy and it has all but stopped this in my flock.

My original girls are 2 years old, and still peck eachother. It can take some time. If she is causing blood or open wounds, I would consider re-homing, but I would let them figure it out

Back
Top Bottom