My chickens are becoming a little too attached to me

chickenexpert55

Chirping
Feb 6, 2021
A little while back I lost a hen, This was in June of 2020, for a few months the chickens were just using me as a tool to get food. Well later in august of that year the hawk came into the yard. Fortunately I was there and well scared it off, ever since the chickens are coming up to me, letting me pick them up, letting me pet them, and I have nothing against it, I just wanna know what is happening?

Best
~Chickenexpert55~

Are they mobbing you? As when you come in with feed, getting under your feet? If so, do not feed them right away. Just hang out, until they calm down, and go back to doing chicken things.

A good poster on here gave me that advice, he said it is not good to have a feeding frenzy. So when I go to the coop, I check for eggs, handle the water, do a few things or just hang out and watch them, and then before I leave I feed.

If you don't want to hold them, then just don't. They will back off. A lot of people wish they had chickens like you, but I did train mine once to sit on my lap, and really found I didn't like it, either. So I quit encouraging it.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom