my chickens have avian poxs

Thank you, Sonoran Silkies, for your quick reply.

Now, as an inexperienced chicken handler, how do I go about putting iodine on all of those lesions? Is there a way to catch the birds without practically scaring them to death? I hate to raise their stress level right now. They are used to me being very close to them and some of them eat out of my hand, but I haven't actually held them since they were younger.

Quote:
Don't be concerned that all the information (from the suits that sit in air-conditioned offices figuring all this out), is so confusing. I gathered my best information from so many people that had gone through it. Including a lady who has had chickens for over 20 years....had the dry and half of them turned to wet. She lost all but 3 of the chickens that had wet pox and it was devastating. She did not know what to do w/ the dry in the beginning.

I strongly suggest that you DO NOT put on antibiotics during dry pox. Wet pox is a different story, but a secondary infection is a very SLIM possibility w/ the dry.

Instead, use the yogurt, and electrolyte/vitamin mix (avian or chicken..you can get at pet store or tractor supply) in their water to HELP THEM use THEIR OWN immune system to ward off secondary infections.

When you treat them w/ the iodine or betadine, wear gloves, and change your clothes after dealing w/ them. It is HIGHLY contagious and you should treat w/ high level bio security.

I had pox w/ my first 4 seramas. I did this 3 times a day, and they hated me for it the first few days. Then they started falling asleep in my lap and letting me soak each and every bump. Even the ones close to the eyes. I would try not to get the betadine into their eyes, but sometimes they would do that 'head shake' and it was unavoidable. But I was SHOCKED at how fast the eye ones healed when doing this! I dealt w/ all my healthy birds first and kept them FAR AWAY from these 4. After dealing w/ the 4 (wearing gloves), I stripped off my clothes and they went straight into a hot wash, and I went STRAIGHT into the shower. I did this morning and night.
ALL 4 SURVIVED. It is hard work, but well worth it in the end.

I wish you so much luck and sending positive energy your way.

~4kidZ

Several ways to apply the iodine. Use a dropper, use a q-tip, use a small spray bottle. Treat one bird at a time, and you might want to give them a treat so that they learn to associate you with good things (and to offset and stress from treatment).

As 4kidz said, practice biosecurity--take care of well birds before handling sick ones at all, wash thoroughly and bathe afterwards.

I had read so many variations on what to use that I ended up making my own solution, mixing together povidone-iodine, triple antibiotic (needs a bit of time in the microwave to melt and mix with the rest), campho-phonique (I know I botched that spelling), VetRx. Mixed together thoroughly and put in a small spray bottle that gave small squirts of a few drops at a time. I pretty much covered all skin areas adjacent to lesions.

Applied daily and it really helped clear up the lesions. Only two or three developed wet pox, and the listerine throat swabs took care of that.

when you say highly contagious ... do you mean just to other birds, or to humans as well? I think mine might have a mild case. I also have four children, so if it's that contagious I'm definitely going to feel differently about it. I love my birds ... but I love my children more.

Quote:
No worries....it's only transferable amongst the feathered variety.

Be sure to apply iodine or betadine once or twice a day. I promise it will keep it at bay and dry them out much more quickly.

~4kidZ (Fluffy Butts Farm)

*edit sp-betadine

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! I will definitely start with the bentadine tonight. Even if it isn't fowl pox it can't hurt, right? Can we still eat and sell their eggs while this is all going on? Specifically the bentadine .... I already saw a post that said you can still eat the eggs from birds with fowl pox if they are laying them. I like to sell my eggs as free range, antibiotic free etc. etc. Will this compromise that?

i used iodine and they dont have it anymore. but some of my birds didnt have it last time so now i have a small bit of it in my flock left and i jsut did the iodine again and it clears up and they start laying in a few weeks hopefully ive been getting none or 1 egg or 2 eggs the past 2 weeks and now its picked back up to 3 and 4 so its working

Quote:
It's just a topical anticeptic, so won't effect eggs for eating or hatching
wink.png

Quote:
It's just a topical anticeptic, so won't effect eggs for eating or hatching
wink.png

ya i know the pox are what is making them not lay so much and the day being shorter.

Back
Top Bottom