My chickens in their new coop!

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
Well, I moved my chickens (7and 6 week old) in their new coop today. I think they like the new space they have. They had outgrown the other space in the house I had for them while I was building their coop.

I think it will take them a bit of time to acclimatize themselves to the outside. I went out to check on them a little while ago and they were all in a tight huddle between the back wall and the waterer, so I went and got a couple of heat lamps for them and put them a couple of feet off of the floor. I think I will do this for a little while until they get more used to the outside temps.

Here are a couple of pics of my chickens right after I put them in their coop.

I have:

5 Araucanas - (pullets)
5 Black Australorps - (pullets)
6 Light Brahmas - (5 pullets, 1 cockerel)
6 Buttercups- (St Run)
5 Delawares - (pullets)
5 Dominiques - (pullets)
5 Buff Orpingtons - (pullets)
5 Silver Laced Wyandottes - (pullets)

newhouse1.jpg

newhouse2.jpg

newhouse3.jpg

Now that they are actually in the coop, we will see how many things I forgot to provide for them...AND we will see how prepared I am for raising chickens
smile.png

Take care,

GREAT!!! They all look so happy in there.....Nice coop!you are a good chicken mommy/daddy...have fun...Ohhh, i cant waite to get mine outside!! Too cold here still. Was 29 this am,when I got up...maybe another few days, when this cold snap passes.

smile.png
Steven;
Looks like great job, I was also wondering if they used the ramp. We still have ours in the brooders for another 5 weeks. Our temperature was at the high 80's; but right now we are in Blackberry winter and the temp here was 25 this morning. Looking forward to hear abouth them when they start laying in a few more months.

Have a great day!
Ray

Thanks. A few of them used the ramp to the nest boxes. I saw them on the walkway in front of the nest boxes near the ramp just sitting. They haven't really expolred the other side of the coop where the roost is yet. I hope they figure that out. I might try putting a few of them up there to show them that it exists since it is above their eye level.

Since this is my first attempt at this, I am not sure on what to expect and when to expect it. It will be a definate learning experience, but I am looking forward to it. I am thinking about opening the chicken dorr to the pen and seeing if they want to go outside or not. It is about 60° and it is not so windy like it was yesterday. I just want to make sure they know that the coop represents home and safetly to them so I am not sure if I should leave them in the coop for a couple of days first, or if it really doesn't matter. Again, I guess it is a learning experience. In the worse case, I will have to chase them back into the coop.

I'll let you know
smile.png

I love the coop! I have been looking for a plan for 2 coops that I want to build for 10 chickens each and I think I will go with a smaller version of this one!
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom