My chicks are afraid to go out!

cockadoodledean

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Morrow Co. Ohio
Hello all-I hope this is the correct place to post. If not my apologies
smile.png

I have a Jack Russell who killed one of our 5 week old chicks today. I noticed that he tried to get another-she has a small bloody spot on each side of her head but she seems okay. Poor things were probably frantic! I'm so angry but I know he's doing what dogs do. Anyway, the remaining 11 girls have been cowering in the coop all day. Should I put them out into the grass or let them take their time? It'll be nighttime soon so I'll go out and close the door for the night in 2 hours but I'm worried about them tomorrow!
You're probably wondering how I handled the dog? DH put the shock collar on him tonight and did a little training around the coop and their fenced in area
wink.png

Thanks for any help!
One more question-If we were to add any more to the flock, when's a good time to do so and how many at a time?

Last edited:
Your Jack Russell is a hunting breed. Don't blame him for doing what every fiber of his being says to do. Take the shock collar off the dog. Shocking a hunting breed for hunting will just frustrate it. Since you will never be able to totally trust a JRT around chickens you need to just put a fence up and keep the chickens away from the dog.

Donna

Last edited:
Donna-I'm well aware that he's a hunting dog. However they are intelligent and if given an inch they'll take a mile. If you reread my post I stated "I know he's doing what dogs do." A fence does separate them but if starts to regard our other animals as his prey we are in big trouble. With all due respect, my query was about the chickens. We have enough experience with dogs to handle them-humanely. Finally, IMO, a shock collar, if used correctly, can be an effective and safe training tool.

Quote:
Although I do not think this is a specifically a Jack Russell issue, I do agree that the chickens and the dog should not be able to come in contact with each other, especially a dog that is known not to do well around chickens.

cockadoodledean,

WOW!
I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive. I'm not picking on you or talking down to you. You asked a question and I'm just trying to help.
I have been a JRT breeder for more then 25yrs. I've seen or been asked about many crazy things this breed has done over the years. You are correct if you give this breed an inch they will take a mile. All I'm trying to tell you is don't set your dog up for failure. I have seen more then one person try to break their JRT from hunting things. You will never do it. All I'm trying to say is pick your battles with a JRT.

Donna

P.S. I never said anything bad about a shock collar when used in the right circumstances.

Aww I'm sorry for your loss!
sad.png
By the way, hunting dogs CAN learn that chickens are not for hunting. I'm not sure about Jack Russel Terriers but Golden Retrievers can.

I have a Golden Retriever that is my brother's hunting dog and also our beloved family dog. She will maul anything my brother tells her to and she will love anything I tell her to.

Anyway can you show your dog that the chickens are apart of the family? I showed my dog from day one that my chicks are apart of our family. She saw them in the incubator hatching and I let her sniff them all the time. I told her "Let's go check on the babies!" and she'd go and check on them with me.
tongue.png
You just have to show your dog that these chickens are family members. I don't know if that will be hard or easy with your dog. My dog will now sit out by the coop and guard the chickens! She's so sweet. I hope your dog will be like this but again, I don't know what Jack Russel Terriers are like.

Good luck!

Edit: Just thought I'd add that we have a family of flying squirrels living out by the coop. My dog just discovered them. At first she wanted to maul them and attack them because they look like chipmunks (her mortal enemy LOL) but we told her NO they are nice squirrels!
tongue.png
And I think she knows not to hurt them. I'm sure it confused her but she still looks for chipmunks.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss of your chick

We have a JRT mix. She has a very strong predatory instinct. While she would love a chance at a chicken snack, we've trained her to not bother them (although she will test that training with us on occasion), she takes that instinct elsewhere and catches moles or mice.

Jack Russells as you know are a very hyper breed. You will have to teach it that chicks are like people. If it see's you chase or catch a chicken it will too. JR's are very intelligent dogs as you said and can do fine with the chicks if you get across that chicks are pets too. At this point it will be tough to teach it . When I was very young if a dog killed a chicken they tied the dead chicken to the dogs collar till it rotted off, it's gross but it worked every time. Sorry but I don't know of a simple answer.

I've heard of that, it's disgusting and I wouldn't do it to my dog! But I think it's mainly because my dogs live inside:) He's fine for now, he won't go near the coop because he received one shock. They're slick though. It's funny, we have a Golden Retriever so I though he'd be the one to really worry about since he's a bird dog! I fully expected to lose at least a few to predators so I wasn't shocked, more sad that the chicks had to go through that.

I do appreciate all of the comments but what about my poor birds that won't come out of the coop? Should I let them be or pick them up and reintroduce them to the grass?

i would put the terrier in the house for the day and see if they come out by themselves. when he needs to go potty put him on a leash and try introducing them.. this way you have some control and let him sniff without harming. if he gets carried away then shock him. we used the shock on our lab. she kept going after strangers but was great with the chicks lol

Back
Top Bottom