My (converted) Quail Coop!

Do quail need a heat source at night outside, once I turn their daylight heat lamp off?

• Not in the summer

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Not ever, they will cuddle and seek out the ā€œcaveā€

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Heat lamps are dangerous! Get a heating pad then you donā€™t need to turn it off at night.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use a red lamp and leave it on all day all year.

• Yes they should have a heat source at night, figure something out!

• Total voters

Ruskin_Roost

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Mission, BC, Canada
My partner and I converted šŸ°Murphyā€™s hutch into a coop for our quail chicks! I suppose they are teenagers now, very close to adulthood! They are five weeks old and are always so happy when I bring their cage outside, so I I figured it is a good warm evening for them to spend their first night outside!

2F7CDCFC-D8A6-4F83-8349-61B29A136500.jpeg

The hutch is two levels with a ramp leading from one level to the other. I added pieces of antique chair-rail (because it was laying around in my woodshed) to the ramp so they can easily go up and down. I also changed it to a slight grade vs steep by butting their wooden hidey-hole up underneath, which they always climb on top of anyway. It has worked great! They are going up to snuggle and sit in the wood chips, or to have quiet time in the sectioned off ā€œcaveā€ where there is no breeze. Then they come down to eat or drink or just hang out under the hidey-hole.
1E44528D-7C91-4466-AAD7-AEF9F3530BD7.jpeg

Tux, Speed Racer, and Ace, modelling how to use the ramp system.

The top level has a pullout drawer that I have filled with wood chips. The bottom has 1/4 inch hardware cloth with straw on one side to add relief. I have a Home Depot bag below the feeding/watering station to catch offal, and a piece of cardboard below the hay bedding for easy cleanup. Eventually I will get trays that fit in these slots.
987A28E9-6EDA-4621-A91F-94E7EF028383.jpeg

The hardware cloth for the ā€œfloorā€ is actually attached to the base we made for the hutch to stand on. So, when I need to scrape and clean the floor, I will shoo the birds to the top level, close the safety door that will block them from accessing the ramp, and take the whole hutch off of the base.

Having the hutch up off the ground was important for me as a pest-deterrent and for peace of mind. It also will make cleaning much easier!
F7A0BBB4-EA36-459B-877E-EFA7C1613BF8.jpeg
The hutch is tightly latched on all four corners and has chair rail to help line it back up when I take the top off for cleaning, and to keep it steady. I still need to bolt it to the exterior wall incase a bear decides to try and knock it down. I have tried to rock it and push it over and I canā€™t!

54F8A788-43A2-44E1-AD92-60ADC71A0692.jpeg
3/4 of the top level is open on the front, the other 1/4 is enclosed fully except for the small door-hole you see on the right. I hope this will give them safe haven if there is ever high winds they need shelter from.

E0511617-F1D6-4FB9-856A-B656F53C6B7B.jpeg

The bottom level has a solid back and open front and sides.

I hope you liked checking out our new Quail Coop at the Ruskin Roost! šŸ°šŸ˜šŸ„

šŸ’”Please comment with any suggestions you may have for improvements.

I already have one thing I want to do: enclose the base so animals cannot get at the feet of the birds if they push the trays/bag/cardboard out of the way.

They no longer need heat. I have 6 week old buttons, and they are off heat and living outside. I would think your breed (Coturnix I'm guessing) probably won't need heat at all, unless it gets below 20 degrees or something.
Thank you for your advice and letting me know what you do! Buttons are so cute. Yes mine are Coturnix. They are used to having an inside temp of around 70-80F, so around 20-25C depending on the time of day. I have been putting them outside when I am home, so they have experienced 15C during the day. This is their first night outside so I donā€™t want to chill them without weening them off the heat. I am sure they could take it! I have one runt I am particularity worried about, he is a heat seeker still.

I remove the heatplate at day 16-17 after hatch, while they are indoor.

With 28 days, in summer, they get outside ... in winter with day 42.

Moved my last Autum hatch outside with 6 weeks at 8Ā°C at daytime... at night temps were about 3Ā°C ... constantly decreasing.
No loss.

Back
Top Bottom