My coop and run

Missa4848

Songster
May 5, 2019
Douglasville pa berks county pa
Hi everyone I needed to redo my run I was lucky enough I found a free 12x7 dog kennel I purchased chicken wire from home Depot it's 6'x50' 1inch holes for around 43dollars I had an entertainment center my husband cut holes in the bottom doors and on the side for me I purchased outdoor fence paint from Walmart for 15 a gallon in the middle of the top he attached a piece of plywood so we can attach doors to it I also purchased 4 4x8 sheets of plywood and painted them a friend of mine gave me some 4x6 s and that s what supports the plywood the last thing I need to do is make a ramp for the top part if the coopi also bought a 1"dowel and painted it with a clear primer and my husband drilled holes on each side and used a glue gun to hold it in place

Hi everyone I needed to redo my run I was lucky enough I found a free 12x7 dog kennel I purchased chicken wire from home Depot it's 6'x50' 1inch holes for around 43dollars I had an entertainment center my husband cut holes in the bottom doors and on the side for me I purchased outdoor fence paint from Walmart for 15 a gallon in the middle of the top he attached a piece of plywood so we can attach doors to it I also purchased 4 4x8 sheets of plywood and painted them a friend of mine gave me some 4x6 s and that s what supports the plywood the last thing I need to do is make a ramp for the top part if the coopi also bought a 1"dowel and painted it with a clear primer and my husband drilled holes on each side and used a glue gun to hold it in place

A photo would be nice to see!

IMG_20190728_134106.jpg
IMG_20190728_134002.jpg
IMG_20190728_133952.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_133944.jpg
    IMG_20190728_133944.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190728_133936.jpg
    IMG_20190728_133936.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190728_133936.jpg
    IMG_20190728_133936.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 8
Great recycling, but just a couple of notes:
- Chicken wire isn't predator proof so depending on predators in your area, you may end up with breeches. Personally I'd go with hardware cloth or welded wire for more security.
- Is the 1" dowel for a roost bar? I'd size up to 2" or more (or grab a 2x3, 2x4), as 1" is really too narrow for chickens.

I’m sure others will explain why, as I can’t remember the details, but a 1” dowel really isn’t ideal. There’s an article about an experiment someone did about which roost bars worked best. The TSC coops aren’t always designed with what’s best for chickens.

Awesome recycling! I tried to make a coop from recycled materials but we needed a very specific fit, so it didn’t work out. Best of luck with the new digs!

It seems most folks here use a 2” x 4” with the wider side flat. That’s what we have. A few people prefer a tree branch, usually about 3” in diameter. Look for that article about the experiments with different roost bars. It was enlightening!

That's true about tsc coops the dowel I bought is actually bigger than the roost bars in the coop i was surprised I did some reading don't know how true it is I read a roost should be at least 1 1/2 inch to 2"I'm still learning the 2" just appeared to be too big

They look big if you assume the birds need to wrap their toes around it to hang on, like a canary would, but they don't. Chickens can sleep with their feet mostly flat, or hang onto a larger round bar with their toes just wrapping around the top half.

My roost bars vary from about 2" to about 2 1/2" (I use branches).

Back
Top Bottom