My coop has turned into a maternity ward!

alaskachick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
My Light Brahmas are going broody one by one. One two weeks ago, One last week, another this week, another today. The first one who went broody about two weeks ago had 18 eggs under her today. The other hens are laying their eggs in her box probably on top of her and the eggs are rolling down under her. She had so many eggs under her that four were sticking out and not covered well. Can I replace the new broody hens eggs with golf balls. Will she lay on them or will she know they are not eggs. I would like to take the eggs away from the chicken who went broody today before they develop any more. Will that work. How long does the average hen stay broody? help me!

Most broodies will stay on the nest whether or not they have eggs, or golf balls, or nothing. The only way to really break them is put them in a wire cage without a nest or anything. Or you can just let them hatch chicks. I find it easier to just give in.
lol.png
You can spread around the eggs that are further along so they each just have 1 or 2 if you don't want too many chicks.

if you don't want them broody take them away from the nest, both chicken and egg, its hard to break a broody chicken some people suggest putting them on wire with a cool fan below cooling them off or giving them a cool bath. I have a broody bantam hen that lets everyone lay in the nest so she can sit the eggs, I keep taking her off the nest with no success overtime I go back out there she is back on. doesn't matter if there are eggs or not . golf balls will just keep them broody.

Back
Top Bottom