My duck has Bumblefoot

NathanZee

Songster
Jul 1, 2015
Land of Sky Blue Waters
My Welsh Harlequin has what I believe is bumblefoot.
sad.png
We have been doing epsom salt soaks, then rubbing clear iodine on the bumble for about a week, without any noticeable improvement.
hmm.png
What else could we do to help? Thanks!

Sorry the pictures are kind of blurry.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/03/bumblefoot.html?m=1

Here is some help. There is also a fish antibiotic some people use called tricide-neo. It comes in a powder, you can mix a bit up and soak daily.

On my chicken, I soaked her foot, took the softened eschar off, pulled out some infection, packed with Prid salve (it comes in a little orange tin at Walgreens or similar store). I put gauze & vet wrap on it and did this daily for a few weeks.
Duck feet are hard to wrap, but they make BOOTS for ducks with bumblefoot. Available online, somewhere. I would probably keep him/her from swimming for a bit. Also, check where they hang out for sharp stuff, just in case. When I had a bumblefoot epidemic, I found a lot of broken glass, bits of metal and wire....previous owners must have been ....something else. Hope this helps!

My Welsh Harlequin has what I believe is bumblefoot. :( We have been doing epsom salt soaks, then rubbing clear iodine on the bumble for about a week, without any noticeable improvement. :/ What else could we do to help? Thanks! Sorry the pictures are kind of blurry.
Without getting that chunk of infection out, it's not going to heal... gotta get the scab off while it's still soft and warm from the epsom salt soak and get the yellowish/whitish chunks out... then iodine, wrap and repeat each day...

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/03/bumblefoot.html?m=1

Here is some help. There is also a fish antibiotic some people use called tricide-neo. It comes in a powder, you can mix a bit up and soak daily.

On my chicken, I soaked her foot, took the softened eschar off, pulled out some infection, packed with Prid salve (it comes in a little orange tin at Walgreens or similar store). I put gauze & vet wrap on it and did this daily for a few weeks.
Duck feet are hard to wrap, but they make BOOTS for ducks with bumblefoot. Available online, somewhere. I would probably keep him/her from swimming for a bit. Also, check where they hang out for sharp stuff, just in case. When I had a bumblefoot epidemic, I found a lot of broken glass, bits of metal and wire....previous owners must have been ....something else. Hope this helps!
Thank you! Wrapping it might be a little bit of a challenge! All the other ducks are doing fine, so it must have been some random sharp thing she found.

Without getting that chunk of infection out, it's not going to heal... gotta get the scab off while it's still soft and warm from the epsom salt soak and get the yellowish/whitish chunks out... then iodine, wrap and repeat each day...
That's kind of what I was wondering, we will get that out. Thank you!

Thank you! Wrapping it might be a little bit of a challenge! All the other ducks are doing fine, so it must have been some random sharp thing she found.  

That's kind of what I was wondering, we will get that out. Thank you! 

If you can, check out the waterproof bandaids at Walmart... those actually worked well for mine... if you need help or any photo examples, feel free to PM me... I took some pics of one I worked on...

A little splinter or thorn can cause bumblefoot too... mine love the blackberry bushes, go figure, lol...

That looks like there may be a splinter in there. I would see if that is the case and remove that with tweezers first if there is one.

There is a method that requires no wrapping, no cutting.

I would use the foot soak and clear iodine method - worth a try - see how it goes for about ten days, then review and adjust treatment if needed.

If the duck's legs seem rather warm, I would also start Duramycin oral antibiotic to protect from systemic infection.

Here is the link to the description of the clear iodine method. Because so many people get a little confused, please bear with me as I point out a few things... The iodine is clear iodine. Not brown. The iodine is placed on the bumble, just maybe 3 drops, right after soaking and drying the feet. Blow on the iodine to dry it. Keep the little one in a safe, relatively clean place during treatment. The feet are soaked, then the iodine applied once. Then 5 or 6 days later, the feet are soaked again and checked. If the scab that should have formed starts to come loose fairly easily, it can be pulled off. In an advanced case this may need to be repeated.

Okay, now the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/560693/need-input-on-bumblefoot-treatment-in-ducks/20

Please look at post 22

If you can, check out the waterproof bandaids at Walmart... those actually worked well for mine... if you need help or any photo examples, feel free to PM me... I took some pics of one I worked on...

A little splinter or thorn can cause bumblefoot too... mine love the blackberry bushes, go figure, lol...
Okay thanks!

Yeah, it might could be anything.
hmm.png

That looks like there may be a splinter in there. I would see if that is the case and remove that with tweezers first if there is one.

There is a method that requires no wrapping, no cutting.

I would use the foot soak and clear iodine method - worth a try - see how it goes for about ten days, then review and adjust treatment if needed.

If the duck's legs seem rather warm, I would also start Duramycin oral antibiotic to protect from systemic infection.

Here is the link to the description of the clear iodine method. Because so many people get a little confused, please bear with me as I point out a few things... The iodine is clear iodine. Not brown. The iodine is placed on the bumble, just maybe 3 drops, right after soaking and drying the feet. Blow on the iodine to dry it. Keep the little one in a safe, relatively clean place during treatment. The feet are soaked, then the iodine applied once. Then 5 or 6 days later, the feet are soaked again and checked. If the scab that should have formed starts to come loose fairly easily, it can be pulled off. In an advanced case this may need to be repeated.

Okay, now the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/560693/need-input-on-bumblefoot-treatment-in-ducks/20

Please look at post 22
Oh really? How would we find it?

We've been doing epsom salt soaks and the applying Iodine like you said, but we've been putting the iodine on every day. Is that too much? We got the scab off today, and only a tiny tiny bit of fluid came out.

Tkanks for the link! The problem is that our ducks scab is so small compared to those, so I don't really know what to do?

Okay thanks! 

Yeah, it might could be anything. :/

Oh really? How would we find it? 

We've been doing epsom salt soaks and the applying Iodine like you said, but we've been putting the iodine on every day. Is that too much? We got the scab off today, and only a tiny tiny bit of fluid came out. 

Tkanks for the link! The problem is that our ducks scab is so small compared to those, so I don't really know what to do? 

NathanZee, the clear iodine is often called "Iodine Tincture" as well... in pharamcy sections of Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc... it is a very small bottle, not a big one like Betadine or Peroxide, etc...

Or were you talking about finding Duramycin? I just realized that, lol...

Sounds like you have one of the difficult ones, where the tissue is swollen around it too... can you get clear pics with the scab removed?

Back
Top Bottom