My duck laid her first egg!?

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
I really wasn't looking to getting any eggs until spring. I went outside and my Indian Runner duck got up and there was an egg under her! It's whitish light green. I have and easter egger who lays similar eggs but when I smelled the two, the EES smelled like a regular egg and the "duck" egg smelled sorta bad. I looked on google images and they look exactly alike. I decided to cook them and see the taste difference. I had 3 others try the two eggs, not telling them which was which. Everyone pointed to the "duck" egg and said it had a lot more flavor. My mom HATES eggs but really LOVED the duck egg. Before Punch (the duck) even started laying eggs everyone said "EWE!! I'm not going to go near a duck egg!" LOL and they all loved it waaay more than a regular egg!
gig.gif

Yay! Congrats! How old is your is your duck? Mine are still young, but I'm impatient! Do they typically start laying around the same time as chickens do?

Yay! Congrats! How old is your is your duck? Mine are still young, but I'm impatient! Do they typically start laying around the same time as chickens do?
My duck is 31 weeks or 7 months. I read that they start laying around 20 - 24 weeks of age:) I guess mines a late bloomer!

Back
Top Bottom