I'm very sorry for your loss.
They suggested euthanasia over a limp and lost voice?
Did they know what the cause was?
No they couldn't find out what was wrong. She was having respiratory problems and the only way to to help (from what little they knew) was to put a hose in her throat to help with oxygen. They said they might have had to cut her open to try and figure out what was wrong since the x-rays weren't showing anything.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a similar issue with my female duck. She passed away before I could figure out what was actually wrong and see about treatment, but I suspect she had something wrong internally because her egg laying had gotten very odd for several weeks prior to her losing her voice.

I’m so sorry to hear about your pretty bird 😔 My sincerest condolences. I just wanted to add to this, bc it really is hard to find info on this for poultry, most of the info is related to smaller birds, but my hen has had really strange symptoms off and on for awhile. It wasn’t until recently she developed strange but subtle throat/ ear symptoms, then raging diarrhea. Long story short, I’m pretty sure this weird culmination of symptoms is air sack mites. A vet can check from a swab test (I’ve read). I wonder how many ppl w birds w mysterious throat or sinus or breathing issues are really dealing w these throat mites. I was really worried about losing my girl, a vet dosed her w Ivermectin, 30 minutes later she was trying to dislodge her throat, then she was back to herself again, then next morning severe diarrhea, gone. It was really incredible. I plan to continue an Ivermectin treatment. She had tested negative for parasites & had been treated for gape worm prior to this.
Again, so sorry about your duckie. I hope this info helps someone.

I’m so sorry to hear about your pretty bird 😔 My sincerest condolences. I just wanted to add to this, bc it really is hard to find info on this for poultry, most of the info is related to smaller birds, but my hen has had really strange symptoms off and on for awhile. It wasn’t until recently she developed strange but subtle throat/ ear symptoms, then raging diarrhea. Long story short, I’m pretty sure this weird culmination of symptoms is air sack mites. A vet can check from a swab test (I’ve read). I wonder how many ppl w birds w mysterious throat or sinus or breathing issues are really dealing w these throat mites. I was really worried about losing my girl, a vet dosed her w Ivermectin, 30 minutes later she was trying to dislodge her throat, then she was back to herself again, then next morning severe diarrhea, gone. It was really incredible. I plan to continue an Ivermectin treatment. She had tested negative for parasites & had been treated for gape worm prior to this.
Again, so sorry about your duckie. I hope this info helps someone.
Did your vet give her the Ivermectin orally? if so which one? @BuckarooBonzai

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom