My duck won’t walk anymore

Bricoz

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
Hi all,
I have a 2.5 month old Pekin duck who is pretty much full grown and recently he stopped walking. He had got caught in a precarious place and had got his foot stuck a few days ago but walked on it fine for two days after and ever since then he has just gone limp and won’t walk at all. He can move his feet when I put him in the pool but it’s almost like he forgot how to be a duck. I have been trying to get him eat peas and brewers yeast to boost his niacin intake but he isn’t very interested in eating when he couldn’t get enough from food before. I took him to the vet and nothing else was Injured on his body to detour him from walking. So I got him antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication but the vet had no real answers for me. I talked to a girl at the feed store who said her Pekin duck did the same thing around the same age and she gave her **** niacin supplements which I ordered and are on the way. He is just not getting better and not really worse except I can’t get him to eat as much as I would like to. When he is in the pool and I encourage him to move he will but not like he used to dabbling and cleaning himself.

Any information would be so incredibly helpful. I feel like I have done everything I could think of to help him and would like him to get back to his normal self.

Hello and welcome to BYC!:frow I don’t have any experience with ducks. I wish there was more I could do to help but I think you’ll get some good advice here.
best wishes!:hugs

What do you feed him? Have you checked the bottom of his foot for bumblefoot or another infection?
We feed him duck food. Took him to the vet and they gave him a full exam and found nothing wrong on his body or foot. When the vet was even pulling on his feet he didn’t respond like they normally would as a reflex.

Hi all,
I have a 2.5 month old Pekin duck who is pretty much full grown and recently he stopped walking. He had got caught in a precarious place and had got his foot stuck a few days ago but walked on it fine for two days after and ever since then he has just gone limp and won’t walk at all. He can move his feet when I put him in the pool but it’s almost like he forgot how to be a duck. I have been trying to get him eat peas and brewers yeast to boost his niacin intake but he isn’t very interested in eating when he couldn’t get enough from food before. I took him to the vet and nothing else was Injured on his body to detour him from walking. So I got him antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication but the vet had no real answers for me. I talked to a girl at the feed store who said her Pekin duck did the same thing around the same age and she gave her **** niacin supplements which I ordered and are on the way. He is just not getting better and not really worse except I can’t get him to eat as much as I would like to. When he is in the pool and I encourage him to move he will but not like he used to dabbling and cleaning himself.

Any information would be so incredibly helpful. I feel like I have done everything I could think of to help him and would like him to get back to his normal self.
Hi
Pekin ducks needs extra niacin more then most ducks
Adding nutritional yeast or brewers yeast to feed up to 10 weeks at 1tbs per cup and after that sprinkling it on the feed
I give my adult ducks this as I have Pekin and Pekin cross
Also giving vitamin B complex in his weekly diet
@Miss Lydia can give advice on the best kind and where to get it
Hopefully he just twisted it and just needs a few days to get better

Hi
Pekin ducks needs extra niacin more then most ducks
Adding nutritional yeast or brewers yeast to feed up to 10 weeks at 1tbs per cup and after that sprinkling it on the feed
I give my adult ducks this as I have Pekin and Pekin cross
Also giving vitamin B complex in his weekly diet
@Miss Lydia can give advice on the best kind and where to get it
Hopefully he just twisted it and just needs a few days to get better
I appreciate the information. I have been putting brewers yeast on his food and in his water but he doesn’t have much of an appetite. I am definitely ruling out that his foot is hurt being the problem as the vet saw nothing wrong and he doesn’t have any pain when they are touched. I am just hoping it isn’t something worse that isn’t curable. He is too young and too sweet.

I appreciate the information. I have been putting brewers yeast on his food and in his water but he doesn’t have much of an appetite. I am definitely ruling out that his foot is hurt being the problem as the vet saw nothing wrong and he doesn’t have any pain when they are touched. I am just hoping it isn’t something worse that isn’t curable. He is too young and too sweet.
If it is Niacin issues ( most common )
Get vitamin B complex from TS
It’s under cattle
Give 1 ml daily on treats or oral slowly at the side as it’s easy to make ducks aspirate
You may not see improvements for a week depending how bad it is
Try to keep up with bathing as this helps take weight off the leg
Others will be able to give advice on how to get feed into him

Attachments

• 9101FCB3-7CD0-40A2-8AD6-A87E6F50EE06.png
    9101FCB3-7CD0-40A2-8AD6-A87E6F50EE06.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
When one has full-blown niacin deficiency the liquid b complex is the best and fast way to treat it.
I can give you info on Brewers yeast compared to Nutritional yeast and info on niacin deficiency and how to treat it.
Since he isn't eating very much best to give the liquid B complex {TSC} to him orally
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nutritional-yeast-vs-brewers-yeast.1393856/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Hopefully you can get him on the liquid B complex today and start seeing improvements by mid week. Keep us updated.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom