My ducks girlfriend died

Chickenmom99

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2021
I have a bonded pair of mallard ducks. Howard and honey they used to go everywhere together. If one of them got lost in the yard they would yell for each other. This morning Howard and honey did their morning flight around the farm and honey got hit by a car. She went out quick but it was still awful. Howard has now been walking around the yard quacking very quietly. I think he’s knows what happened. I’m not sure what to do for him I know he’s upset he was super protective of her. She was laying eggs and he would sit on them at night and try to eat me if I came close to them. I’m not sure if I should try to get him another female or maybe duckings. I just don’t want him to be upset or even try to go after my other chickens. And I don’t want to get rid of him. Anything helps out thank you

I have a bonded pair of mallard ducks. Howard and honey they used to go everywhere together. If one of them got lost in the yard they would yell for each other. This morning Howard and honey did their morning flight around the farm and honey got hit by a car. She went out quick but it was still awful. Howard has now been walking around the yard quacking very quietly. I think he’s knows what happened. I’m not sure what to do for him I know he’s upset he was super protective of her. She was laying eggs and he would sit on them at night and try to eat me if I came close to them. I’m not sure if I should try to get him another female or maybe duckings. I just don’t want him to be upset or even try to go after my other chickens. And I don’t want to get rid of him. Anything helps out thank you
@Isaac 0
He's really smart about ducks.

I'm very sorry for your and Howard's loss. :( My ducks have grieved when we have lost a flock member as well. It takes time to recover, my flock has called for their deceased flock member for weeks.

Like SolarDuck, I would get him an adult friend, maybe a few. Ducklings take too long to grow up and be suitable company.

I would get another mallard female duck. I have a male with several hens, both Rouen and Mallards. Daffy used to only hang out with Daisey but has now accepted all of the hens as his property and breeds with them all. Howard will eventually accept a new hen more than likely and will like the company. Good Luck and sorry for your loss.

Poor Howard 😢. “Livestock” or not they can become our dear little friends and it hurts to see them get killed, it’s doubly hard when we see their mates go through that loss as well. It’s personal for me as I’ve gone through the loss of a mate and miss her everyday.

I cannot see where you live but if your near Northern Virginia, DC area please reach out to me, I will be happy to give Howard a new girlfriend.

I have a number of mature ducks who are good layers. My Cayuga’s are quiet and gentle birds, good layers w/ smaller duck eggs, still prob jumbo sized for a chicken lol. I have 4 Cayuga girls and a Welsh Harlequin I would part with. Pick one and she is Howards😉.

If your a few hours away I’m sure we can ship her or find a rescue transport on the East Coast. My Mom does dog rescue transports weekly in Maryland, it is pretty common.
XOXOXO For Howard

Back
Top Bottom