My Duvall Dog Coop...

JD McGee

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Duvall, WA
Hi guys...the chicks are a little over two weeks old and doing well in the brooder. Time to turn my attention to modifying the dog kennel...here is what I have to work with...

The north side of the kennel is facing you...the south side is fenced (behind the chainlink). I plan to build the nesting boxes along the south side and roosting ladders on the east side. I thought I'd leave the insulated dog house attached for them to use in the winter...thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

is

Last edited:
Cool, I'm using a dog kennel also. I am still in the process of putting on a permanent roof. I planed on 50% chicken wire and 50% plywood. Right now I have the wire up, and the plywood just laying across the top, but I like your fiberglass panels. I also like the way you have them slanted. I am new at this so I didn't even think about the slant. You sharing this is a real help to me.

My wife and I like the idea of enclosing the coop with cedar fence slats and using plastic bins for nesting boxes...

Another good idea! Keep talking, I'll keep copying your ideas....
tongue.png

Another good idea!  Keep talking, I'll keep copying your ideas....:p

Feel free to copy away...first order of business is levelling the kennel and pressure washing. I like the idea of making the nesting box frames out of cedar as well...bug and rot deterrent. Now I am thinking about what to use as a poop board under the roost...something removeable and washable.

Went to Flower World in Maltby today to check out the chicken coops they have so as to get some ideas for mine. Here are a couple of pics...

I like the flapper door...lockable of course...

Nothing fancy here...just the basics and the chickens are thriving. Talked with one of the keepers and she said the chickens are out in the weather year round. The coops are enclosed on three sides only...good to know.

Last edited:
The chicks are three weeks old today so I added the other half of Jakes dog crate to give them more room to grow...also added a top to keep them from flying in the coming weeks...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom