My first time milling wheat to make flour! :)

ThePigeonKid

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
My first time milling wheat to make flour!
wee.gif

https://www.facebook.com/TheMedleyFarm

Last edited:
I took a bread-making class to learn how to make bread from the wheat berry. She said to really get the goodness out of the berry, you have to sprout them, then dry them, then mill them. I did it...took forever....and still came out a brick. I'll give it another shot this winter I guess. Nothing like hot fluffy bread right from the oven. ( with homemade butter and jam of course)

I have a Countryside hand mill. I do have the motor for it, but somehow we've never gotten it hooked up. I just figure I've worked hard enough to have an extra slice of bread (with extra butter) when I hand grind it.

One thing I had to learn the hard way is to mix the dough really wet and let it soak for a while before mixing in the rest of the flour. The bran in fresh ground wheat soaks up a lot of liquid.

You could have killed someone with some of my first loaves......
roll.png

Sherry

Last edited:
We have a Country Living Grain Mill, but we spurged and got a motor for it right away. Takes about 45 minutes to grind enough wheat for a batch of bread, but boy does it make a mess with flour all over. I have to dust the flour off the mill constantly as it grinds. I think I am going to make a cloth bonnet for it that will keep the flour dust contained and in the bowl. I had to buy a square plastic bin to put under the mill to catch the flour because a round bowl doesn't fit under the plate completely.

You know, I have never really had a problem with using the fresh ground wheat right away for bread. I just mill it and make the dough. I do have to leat it rise three times because of our elevation, but the total rise time is about the same. And I do add either 1 tbsp. of wheat gluten, or 2 tbsp of dough enhanser, as they make the bread lighter in texture which is how we like it.

We like to make our whole wheat bread with honey for the sweetener, and I use almost double what is called for. It makes it really tasty, which is good because we are not big whole wheat bread eaters. I only use 1 tbsp of white sugar when I activate the yeast.

I too use the nutrimill - I grind rye, rice & corn in addition to wheat. If I grind more than I need for the day I put the rest in the freezer.
I am wanting to expand to different types of grains. Anyone else grinding something different that I am missing out on?

Last edited:
I haven't tried anything too fancy with my mill. I'd like to get the corn and bean auger for cornmeal. I'd also like to try grinding toasted, sprouted wheat. It's supposed to be really sweet.

Yea, someday when things slow down and I'm not so busy.........
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom