My goat is kidding!

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
I went down at 11 AM today, and saw she was starting labor, so I've been checking on her every 30 minutes. I'm so impatient, I wish she would hurry up! The funny thing is that my friend and I traded buck services, so I brought my doe to her house to be breed, and she brought her doe to my house to be breed. Well, I got an E-mail from her today saying her goat had it's babies. So that's when I went to check on mine, looks like they will both kid on the same day! I'll post pics when the baby or babies are born.

Well, I had hoped to have some cute pics to show you, but both the babies died and the mom had to be put down. I'll spare you the gory details She had kidded 5 times before so I wasn't expecting any problems, but this one was really hard! I've never had problems like that before, but now I've learned more about taking care of hard births.

sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! Man, that just sucks....

That's really too bad, i sorry about the babies and mom. Did she have twins? I know with horses it is real dangerous to have twins, but heard with goats it's quite common. Do you have any other goats?

Very sorry for your loss.

Not to make light of the situation, but when I saw the post "My goat is kidding" I couldn't wait to read about a joking goat. Show's how much I know about the subject. My 3 year old daugher's new quote for the past 2 weeks has been, "Daddy, are you just kidding me?"

Well, they weren't identical twins. Goats usually have 2 to 3 babies, but can have even more. I have 10 goats now, and two more should kid this month. Hopefully they will go smoother than this one! If I had known what the vet was going to do to her I would have shot her in the head, it would have been a kinder death than what she had. I feel so sorry for what she went through.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss, how horrible. One of our maiden goats, Helen, also had a bad labor February 11th. We worked on her for 4 hours trying to reposistion her kid (head was back and turned). We finally had to sacrifice the kid to try and save Helen, it was terrible - my husband and I just sobbed as we were doing it. Our luck today is that we didn't loose Helen, just her perfect little kid was lost. It has taken her this full month to return to nearly normal and I don't think she'll ever completely regain strength in her hindquarters.

<<hugs>>

Back
Top Bottom