My goslings and their personalities- please help me with next steps

So we just attempted to get them adopted. My parent's friend currently has 3 families of geese. We walked them over and my two goslings stayed right at our feet. We took the kayak out and they were very nervous in the pond and wouldn't dive.

One mother goose swam out to us and tried to take them. I backed away and hid on the side behind some brush. I could hear them crying and could peek through and see that the mother goose was trying really hard. She got them over to her gaggle and she tried to get them on land with her group. My goslings did get on land with her but then promptly jumped back in the water and swam around in circles crying. She tried literally 5 times.

My goslings swam to the other side of the pond still crying and the mother goose and father goose got back in the water and chased after them with their babies. The mother goose then pushed them up onto land again and they started walking with them to a large field of grass. I was so happy to see that they were finally going with her.

I watched for about 15 minutes. Their gaggle was busy eating grass but my goslings were still crying. Then a man walked by to check them out and my goslings made a run for him. They got to him and then started screaming and pacing in circles. They could tell it wasn't me. Then all of sudden a dog took off from a near by house towards the group of geese. All of them dove into the pond and the dog jumped in after them. They were all much faster than the dog and the male goose honked and scared the dog away. At that point, nervous that the dog would get out of the pond and go for my two goslings who were still on land, I got out of the kayak and ran back over to them.

The good news is that the mother goose was willing to take them. Now my goslings just need to get comfortable with them. We are going to give it a couple hours and try again. It is so sweet that they are so attached to us but I really want them to happy with their own kind.
Any updates? What ended up happening?

Back
Top Bottom