My hen died and I don't know why.

MolliMonster99

Songster
Jul 22, 2021
My family had 3 hens: Flora, Fauna and Merryweather. I named them all and welcomed them into our flock with open arms. They are 17 months old and we believe they are ISA Browns, although we aren't sure as we got them from a school hatching programme.

Last night I went to put everyone to bed and Fauna was sat by the door. She didn't come out when I fed everyone treats and wouldn't accept the food I took to her. I thought maybe she was tired as it was getting dark, but I thought I'd ask my boyfriends mum just to be sure as she lets them out in the morning. She said that everyone was fine and eating.

I got home today and went to check the coop for eggs when I found Fauna dead. It broke my heart. We had previously lost 2 ex battery hens earlier this year from old age, but this was unexpected for me. Last night her cone and wattle were a normal colour, she just seemed a bit tired. Apparently this morning she was sat by the coop door and had to be shooed out, where she went and ate some layers pellets.

I feed my ducks and chickens layers pellets but they also get peas, cucumbers, lettuce leaves, kale leaves, strawberries and other flock safe treats daily (not too much though!). I clean their coop out regularly and use a mite spray and powder to prevent mites. They get fresh water daily too.

I don't know what could have caused such a sudden death and it's breaking my heart. Did I do something to cause this? What can cause something so sudden?

17 months is about the lifespan of high production breeds, I'm sorry. You could send her in for necropsy or do one yourself.
My ex battery hens (which were also ISA Browns, we think) passed away at 4 and 5 years old... I'm honestly devastated she passed so young

Back
Top Bottom