My hen is getting weaker every day, any ideas or advice welcome

I almost lost a broody to mites recently, and she behaved very similarly to your hen. The pale face and comb and lack of energy are very suspicious for anaemia, from the mites sucking the birds' blood. The anaemia leads to a lack of appetite, and eventually the hen can literally starve itself to death.

I'm in the UK too and the kind of summer we've had this year - very hot, but with lots of heavy rain in between - has been perfect for mites. I found out the hard way after Henrietta hatched her clutch and was almost at deaths door when she came off the nest. I felt terrible for not noticing. She's still very weak now, even four weeks later and I'm still hand-feeding her to encourage her appetite.

If it is mites, I would get her (and the rest of the hens) some Harka Mectin Spot On drops to go onto her skin which will both worm her and repel any biting parasites such as mites at the same time, keep her indoors for a few nights (if it is red mite she should perk up a little fairly quickly if housed safely away from them for a few nights) and very thoroughly treat the coop as follows: strip it apart as far as possible, scrub the whole thing down, including cracks and crevices, with Poultry Shield, then paint it inside and out with Creocote (or similar creosote subsitute), (making sure the hens are kept out of it for at least eight hours afterwards), then spray the inside of the coop liberally with Duramitex Plus.

After that your mites will have a very hard time reinfesting the housing, despite the British summer being so perfect for them this year.

If your girl is anaemic from mites sucking her blood, Battles Poultry Drink is a good iron supplement and should help her a lot. You also need to encourage her to eat, so keep offering her favourite treats, and if she will take it, cook her up some porridge oats. Most hens love them, even poorly ones. Scrambled egg is also a winner and so are sunflower hearts. Mealworms or maggots from your local fishing tackle shop would be perfect - that's how I got Henny Penny eating again. You can even give bread, if that is the only thing she will eat. Anything just to get some sustenence into her. Now is not the time to be offering only a balanced layer ration - she simply isn't feeling hungry anough to eat bland food. Treats and more treats will raise her spirits and hopefully encourage the eating of a few mouthfuls.

The very best of luck with your girl - I hope she makes it xxx

Thanks LynneP and caralouise, thanks for the tips.

Most of my hens will eat almost anything we give them, so I'll try some treats to encourage her.

I treated the house two days ago for mites, with Poultryshield. It had become very quickly infested between me noticing the mites, and actually getting the chance to do something about it. I spent all afternoon spraying, and waiting for more to crawl out, then spraying again!! There seems to be no sign of any left alive now.

She has survived the night, so I'm going to try and perk her up a bit now. Will keep you posted.

Good work with the Poultry Shield - it's a good first line of defence but will not be enough if you had a noticable infestation, I'm afraid.

It only kills the adult mites that are alive and moving around at the time of the application; it won't kill the little beggars that hatch out seven days later from the eggs the mites have laid in the cracks and crevices of the housing. You will soon have a problem just as bad as before unless you make the housing unappealing to the new hatchlings - ie using creosote (or similar such as Creocote) and Duramitex Plus to ensure the coop is coated inside and out with a barrier layer of oily pesticide.

I made the same mistake and wondered why the mites were as bad as ever five days later. Relying on Poultry Shield alone almost killed my broody. It isn't as effective as the manufaturers would have you believe. On the other hand, Duramitex Plus is fantastic. (I was told about it by a local professional breeder who runs a massive operation in Worcestershire breeding dozens of breeds of poultry, several types of waterfowl and also some very large birds such as ostriches and rheas - and she absolutely swears by it.)

You can buy Creocote at Countrywide stores, and the Duramitex Plus is available on eBay.

So pleased to hear that your girl has survived the night. Keeping her away from the housing for a little while will do her no end of good, especially if you can get some iron supplements into her during that time - Battles Poultry Drink and neat aloe vera juice are both perfect.

Please do keep me posted on her progress
smile.png

Sadly she didn't make it. She wasn't even tempted to drink water so I think she had already given up.

Thanks all for your advice and help. Its all a learning curve isn't it? And now I have a few more ideas should (God forbid) this ever happens again.

x

Thank you. Its always hard as you get so attached, but even harder when your five year old daughter wants to know all the gory details. Ah well, another lesson in the way of nature for her today.

So sorry for your loss Abblo,
We definitely all know that feeling too well!
You're right.......its definitely a long learning process.
Many times, chickens don't show their illness until its pretty far along. They know that if they appear sick to the others, they will attack them.
That's pretty smart.........but it doesn't give us much time to help them when they finally appear sick.
Good luck with the rest of your flock!

Back
Top Bottom