My hen is not active like usual and has weird poop

alex5chickens

Songster
Dec 2, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
So my 2 year old production Red hen is not acting normal. She isn't hanging out with the other birds, and all she wants to do is nap in the sunlight. (Picture below.)
20200419_161858.jpg

She also has some weird looking runny poop, that she has taken at least twice.
20200419_162300.jpg

Otherwise, she can still walk just fine, she just doesn't seem interested in moving around, foraging, dustbathing, or other normal chicken activities. I hope she will be okay, she's my sweetest hen and very calm and gentle.

Does she lay eggs normally? Is she eating and drinking anything. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, soft and puffy, firm, or doughy? Is there any way that you could get some of her droppings checked by a vet for worms or coccidiosis, and possibly a gram stain for enteritis and bacteria? I would call them first, but try to collect several droppings on a puppy pad or newspapers. I would offer her a little scrambled egg with a little cottage cheese or plain yogurt.

Does she lay eggs normally? Is she eating and drinking anything. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, soft and puffy, firm, or doughy? Is there any way that you could get some of her droppings checked by a vet for worms or coccidiosis, and possibly a gram stain for enteritis and bacteria? I would call them first, but try to collect several droppings on a puppy pad or newspapers. I would offer her a little scrambled egg with a little cottage cheese or plain yogurt.
Ok thank you. She hasn't layed in a while, but I think it is because she's been going broody for short periods every day, always looking for a nesting spot and sitting on the other hens eggs. I gave her some fresh water with a little bit of apple cider vinegar in it. Is this okay? She's been drinking it and eating a little feed, she thankfully hasn't lost her appetite.

Also, her crop is slightly squishy, not hard, and my best guess is that it's mostly empty. Could she possibly have sour crop??

She just pooped up something really weird. It was kinda fatty and long. She tried to eat it afterwards, I took it away from her beak. I hope it want her insides but I'm thinking that's what it might be. She is still alive though, maybe she'll recover.
20200419_174959.jpg

I agree that that looks to be lash egg material, a product of salpingitis or oviduct inflammation. Lash eggs are not eggs, but material of egg products and infection, and may be deposited into the abdomen, stay inside the oviduct, and some may come out. Antibiotics are not usually helpful this late. It eventually may be fatal, but many laying hens may suffer from this. Here is some reading:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

I agree that that looks to be lash egg material, a product of salpingitis or oviduct inflammation. Lash eggs are not eggs, but material of egg products and infection, and may be deposited into the abdomen, stay inside the oviduct, and some may come out. Antibiotics are not usually helpful this late. It eventually may be fatal, but many laying hens may suffer from this. Here is some reading:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
Do you think my hen has a chance of making it? It was Sunday when she passed the lash egg, and she's been acting normal since Monday, and hasn't had the penguin stance any more. Is there a chance she will survive? It makes sense, she is a production breed, and always layed very large eggs, so I'm guessing that makes her more susceptible to this.

Back
Top Bottom