My hen is unwell, help!

Evoa14

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2023
My 5 years old hen (who doesn’t lay eggs anymore) has been unwell for 5 days. She is very slow, doesn’t move a lot and stays at the same spot for hours. She stills follows my other hen to the other side of the garden but then stays at the same spot.

She still ate a bit 2 days ago but today she is not eating at all (even wet bread, dried worms, grass…). She isn’t drinking either. With a pipette i made her drink a bit. She doesn’t poop a lot because she isn’t eating but her poop doesn’t seem abnormal. There isn’t another sign of disease except her not eating and not moving a lot.

I have an appointment to the vet in 2 days. (today and tomorrow are holidays in France and no appointments are available)

What should i do ? Do you have an idea of what she has ? Thank you.

This can be a common scenario for an older hen with a reproductive disorder (coelomitis/egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, ascites/water belly, salpingitis.) I tend to make sure they are eating and drinking, and keep them comfortable by allowing them to roam around with their flock which gives them comfort. When any flock members pick on them, or they become afraid or uncomfortable, I will put them down or euthanize.

Our birds become pets and it's never easy to see a pet near the end of their lifespan. While many breeds live to be 7+ years or more, some breeds average around 3-5. That may be where you are at.

Back
Top Bottom