My Introduction

UnclePJ

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2023
Hello all,

The wife and I have started a new flock of chickens and while she’s had chickens in the past, this is my first go. There are some questions that she’s not certain about, so I’ve been searching for a resource that can help with the gaps.

We started with just 6 hens and they’re about 6 weeks old currently. It’s a mix of 3 pairs of breeds. Two Scarlet Olive Eggers, two Light Brahmas and two Cream Legbars. Apparently, the wife can’t just have normal white eggs!

We live in the Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan where the winter hangs on well into what most folks would consider spring proper and can interrupt early summer with a frost. This shouldn’t be a real problem with the girls, but it plays holy hell on my vegetable garden!

We also have two Great Danes. They’re very interested in the chickens. One maybe a little too much. I think he might like to eat one of them, given the chance. Let’s just say, the squirrels stay clear of the yard. We’ll have to keep an eye on him. The girls will have a predator proof coup and yard. They won’t be running around unsupervised.

Anyway, the coup is just about ready and I need to get out there and see if I can finish it up.

Happy chickening!

UnclePJ

Back
Top Bottom