My Khaki Experience.

Mum

Songster
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
UK
I have a trio: drake, duck and a white khaki duck.

I get one white egg and one blue egg. Never sure which duck laid which colour egg.

When I tried to hatch eggs in the min incubator, only the white egg was successful. The duckling is black all over (and now nearly 3weeks old). Not sure why its all black but, hey ho
idunno.gif

When I tried to hatch eggs under a broody bantam, only the white egg was successful. A traditional looking olive coloured duckling with touches of yellow (now 2 days old).

Today, Queenie (white campbell) was missing; dons wellies and out I go to look - she'd taken herself off home and was on the nest. Few minutes later, out she comes having delivered a lovely white egg! So, now I know: both my chicks are from Queenie's eggs. She's white, the drake is a traditional KC.

Half an hour later, Queenie has disappeared again
roll.png
she had gone back on the nest. When she reappeared, I checked the nestbox and ... no egg (phew! That would have worried me
lol.png
) but .... a lovely big nest scattered with white feathers.

So, safe to assume she's building her own nest ready to go broody? Should I stop removing eggs for a few days and see what happens?
hu.gif
Nothing to lose by trying, right?

Is it true that KC's are not really the broody type and have a tendancy to get bored sitting on eggs and give up part way through?

Not sure on KC where you are but here they come in ONE color. Drab olive brown/green as babies, rich chocolate color as adults. Never white though, sounds like you may have a mixed duck since the babies are coming out looking differently from each other.

We collect and incubate all of our khaki eggs to keep the girls laying.

Yes, flockman, I'm UK based and white campbells are not uncommon.

I think the confusion came from you calling your duck a 'white khaki campbell'. Here in the states khaki is khaki. Our other varieties are white and dark, but no combination of colors.

Last edited:
I think the confusion came from you calling your duck a 'white khaki campbell'. Here in the states khaki is khaki. Our other varieties are white and dark, but no combination of colors.
I called her a white khaki campbell because ... that is what she is
wink.png

What I am trying to say is that for us, here in the states, campbells dont come in white khaki. They are either white or khaki. I'm not even sure how you can have a white khaki campbell unless its two colors on the same duck? Could you post a picture of her?

What I am trying to say is that for us, here in the states, campbells dont come in white khaki. They are either white or khaki. I'm not even sure how you can have a white khaki campbell unless its two colors on the same duck? Could you post a picture of her?
She's pure white with orange feet and bill.

I get it her breed is Khaki Campbell her color is white so she's a "white khaki campbell" or a white campbell. She can either be a dominant white with 1 black color gene or a recessive white with only 2 white genes. Crossing with a regular khaki colored drake she can pass on her white gene, or black gene. Again depending on whether she's a dominant or recessive white she could have white, khaki or black offspring when crossed with a khaki drake.
I would let her set up her nest and lay a clutch of eggs to hatch herself.
Just keep an eye on her and if she leaves her nest for more then 1 hour after she truly starts setting you will have to rescue the eggs if you want ducklings.
Hope this helps.
Aprille

I get it her breed is Khaki Campbell her color is white so she's a "white khaki campbell" or a white campbell. She can either be a dominant white with 1 black color gene or a recessive white with only 2 white genes. Crossing with a regular khaki colored drake she can pass on her white gene, or black gene. Again depending on whether she's a dominant or recessive white she could have white, khaki or black offspring when crossed with a khaki drake.
I would let her set up her nest and lay a clutch of eggs to hatch herself.
Just keep an eye on her and if she leaves her nest for more then 1 hour after she truly starts setting you will have to rescue the eggs if you want ducklings.
Hope this helps.
Aprille
Yes!! That's precisely what I was saying
big_smile.png

Well, she hasn't laid any eggs since, but nor is she staying in her nest for long periods either
roll.png

The black duckling is now sprouting pretty black and tan feathers and the younger duckling is still a pretty olive green at present (which I'd expect because its not old enough to be developing its feathers for a couple more weeks.

Thank you for your helpful post Aprille
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom