My New Coop...step by step

Thanks for the reply. I was going to put one long 8' roost along the back wall of my coop but your design may be a better approach given the 4' width of the coop. Your top roost bar seems very close to the ceiling and wall? I'm new to this chicken thing though... my wife thought we needed chickens and guess who gets the title of "Head Chicken Farmer!?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome.

The top roost pole is a little close to the top of the back wall, but don't forget that there is a rafter on top of the back wall that rises as it goes from the back wall to the front wall, and the roof is above the rafter. So the only place it will be close will be next to the back wall and directly under the rafter.

Regarding the horizontal clearance from the side wall, it is a little close to the studs, but there's plenty of clearance between it and the actual surface of the wall. (I don't plan to have any insulation between the studs.) Overall, I think the clearance will be okay, but it's worth looking at once the walls are built and the rafters are on.

I actually plan to make the poop board in three pieces so that I can use one poop board for each roost pole used. I also plan to make them just rest on cleats on the front and back walls so they can be easily removed. The first poop board (nearest the side wall) will be notched for the side wall studs, but the other two will just be rectangles.

Last edited:
We managed to work on the coop again. We installed the nest boxes and put on most of the siding.

Here is the nest box assembly on the ground. I thought it would be easier to build in the shop than on the coop, but I'm not so sure now.

From the inside of the coop. The nest boxes are on the north wall, and are hanging out in the breeze, so I insulated the bottoms with some blue foam panels I found in the neighbor's trash.

Here's a shot showing the siding and the north wall with the nest boxes and the most of the siding in place.

I built a lid for the boxes from treated plywood because ithey will catch some rain. The assembly is under the roof overhand, and the lid is sloped at 15 degrees, I am hoping that a rubber strip over the hinges and extending a little down the lid will prevent any leaks.

Here are the boxes with the lid propped open. I will add a hook and latch later.

And here's a front view of the coop with my friend, Larry, in the doorway. Next step is to build a door.

I built the people door on June 17; it is built using "sandwich" construction. There is siding on the outside, 1/4" OSB on the inside, with 2 x 4's flatways between them. Larry and I finished hanging it this morning, and I took a picture. Unfortunately, I forgot my USB cable for the camera and can't upload it. I'll add it later.

My chicks are now two days old, and will be moving in about three weeks from now. I don't have a run for them, but should be able to complete that by the time they are ready for it.

Here's a picture of the people door on the coop. The next step is to put 1/2"wire over the openings between the rafters, and to decide exactly what I am going to do for windows. And, of course, I need to put the metal roofing on, but that's not urgent. The tarp is doing well even if it doesn't look the best.

Last edited:
Back to Mississippi tomorrow to work on the coop. Next steps are to install a couple of small windows, and make the whole coop predator-proof.

Despite the weather, visitors, and other issues, I managed to make a little progress on the coop. The two small windows are roughed in, and the half gable panels are cut and installed.

My goal is to get the coop to the point that I can move my 10 BCM chicks from the makeshift brooder to the coop as soon as possible. The chicks are close to two weeks old and growing by leaps and bounds. I have them in a plastic storage container, and when I take the screen cover off, they begin jumping and trying to fly; some have actually managed to get out, so they need a better home.

looks great. If the door is T111 you my want to cross buck and/or frame the inside with 2x2s. My door warped something awful and eventually I couldn't get it to shut. Got so bad had to have my kids stand on it with me when I shot the screw to the 2x2s. Still has a slit bow but it closes.

Back
Top Bottom