My nice tame toulouse goose.... :(

Rondack

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 21, 2015
Upstate NY
My goose used to be really friendly, to all, it (not sure if it's a he or a she) and the two ducks we have, always used to follow everyone around and never hiss at anyone. Then that changed....

I was just outside and my goose, which was never really aggressive towards me but was to others, bit me! It has nibbled at my fingers before and snapped at my hands, but this time it actually bit my leg (and it sure did hurt)...
The goose lives with two ducks, one of the ducks is limping:( and since the three fowls always move together (almost never going more than a few feet or yards from each other) the limping duck feels that it has to follow the others around and thereby suffer. So when I wanted to pick up the duck and take it to the "goose coop" the goose went at me, now usually it is enough just to spread my arms and the goose backs off in respect, but in this case all it wanted was to bite me so that I wouldn't kill it's poor duck... Anyway, maybe this is out of self defense or protection of the ducks, but the goose is really getting very aggressive, possibly because it's spring... I hope this problem goes away, and I have tried taming methods I have read of here on BYC...

Here they are, last year, when my other goose was still alive:

And here they are, recently, just the goose, ducks and the chickens:

My gander will try to bite me, too, if he perceives something I do as a threat to him or to the goose. I have to pick them up every day, and I noticed he gets aggravated if I take too quick a step towards the goose to pick her up. It bothers him way less, mostly as in not at all, if I move slower.

One great thing I've learned about him is that my head/face is never perceived as a threat. No matter how riled up he is, he's never tried to bite my face.

Most birds are always more aggressive during their breeding season. Even pet birds such as parrots. Just wait it out you'll have your buddy back after he gets out of his so called "rut"

I'd open an umbrella or parasol in his face the next time he came after me, it'll probably scare the bejesus out of him.

Either that aim an air horn at him and blow when he starts getting wound up.

Well there isn't a whole lot u can really do he just has a lot of horomones flying around and wants a girlfriend. And sees you messing with his girls in his eyes and wants to do his job. Geese r as I have read are very passionate flock protectors.

It's also worth noting that his behavior is temporary - but your behavior will stick with him even after he's mellowed out. I would be cautious about taking aggressive action towards an animal you still want to be friends with.

Back
Top Bottom