My rooster is only mating one hen

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I have 5 orpington hens and a lavender orpinton rooster. They are all around the same age. The hens are 2 blacks, 2 lavenders and 1 blue. I've been checking the fertility of my eggs when I get 5 eggs in one day by putting the 5 in the incubator and candling after a week. After doing this twice in the last month, only one of the eggs is being fertilised. I have the one egg from the first test about to hatch in the next few days. I will be able to narrow down which hen it is depending on the feather colour. Should I remove the hen he's mating to encourage him to try it with the others? The rooster and 3 of the hens are around 10 months old. 2 hens are around 7 months old. I really want to sell the eggs to people wanting to hatch them, but don't want to do so unless they are fertile... I do have a black Orpington rooster that is in a different pen, but wanted to breed lavenders.

Last edited:
I'd remove the hen producing fertile eggs and return her to the flock once a week to maintain her fertility. Is there any possibility that the other hens are so heavily feathered that he can't make 'contact' when breeding them?
I will check them tonight. I have read of trimming them. Do you know the beat method for doing this?

Back
Top Bottom