My thin cornish cross

Bigtom Turkey

Crowing
Nov 29, 2020
Indiana
I am finally posting my rooster, Bruce. He is a Cornish cross, we bought him from cackle hatchery with 25 other birds, and he just never filled out. He was tall but just not that heavy. He is just shy of 28 in tall, but I have not weighed him yet. And his feet are as big as my royal palm gobbler. He is rather friendly and like belly rubs, and as you can imagine if there is food involved he is your temporary best friend lol.
1636041840700.png
<----- this is a pic I found on the internet.
1636049429424.png
<-----this is Bruce.

To clarify I mean overall just when approached without food is he pretty chill? Just trying to get a feel for his personality from all the cornish x I've had. They've all been very calm compared to the layers I think in part they just got tired faster.

My cornish x are all about food.. I mean stay with the feeder even though they have full access to spaces and are able to explore they stay near that feeder. It takes a lot of encouragement for them to go out and think about foraging.. by that I mean I dump mini treat piles further from the feeder and lead them away.. lol

He can out run me, and I play hi- school soccer, and he is feed on mostly pasture he gets feed 1 cup of meat bird feed at night right before bed.

I keep food out 24/7 (not in their coops they sleep with no food in their beds) I raise meat birds in with my layers. Maybe he just didn't get enough food as he was growing to fill out, they put on weight faster than layers by a lot. I don't think he has enough to fill out to be large like the picture. When I free range (I do it supervised the hawks in my area are very watchful) they choose to just stay by the feeder may hop out and eat a bit of grass but they're lazy. I've never seen an overly fast cornish x, I can fast walk and easily pass them.

Back
Top Bottom