My Turkey Girl and her flock of 13 Guineas

PeepsCA

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 28, 2011
BFE, CA
Thought I'd share some pics that I took today while the sun was out...

She was hatched and raised with Guineas 2 yrs ago... she doesn't know she's a Turkey
lol.png
(She bosses them around and breaks up fights)

She kept looking up at the sky, there was a vulture or buzzard and a red tail hawk lurking around, way up high tho. Apparently she's got great eyesight. Every time she'd see them up there she'd start talking to her Guineas in a worried tone (she's smarter than the average Turkey, lol). The Guineas were oblivious, too busy screaming at me every 30 seconds for following them around with the camera
roll.png

Awwwwww, she is lovely Peeps! We used to have a large flock of wild turkeys wander through our place, oh when they had the babies with them, it was soooooo cute - but since having the guineas, I haven't seen them:( I guess they keep further down in our woods now to avoid the screaming banshees.........

She's a big ol healthy girl, I love the iridescence her feathers have (hard to capture those on camera tho.. golds, greens, rust/copper). I originally hatched 2 Hens and a Tom, turned them lose to free range when they were old enough, figured they would be safe in my goat pasture but predators took a pair of them within a few days
hmm.png
I think great horned owls are what killed them both but then a bobcat or bobcats came over the fence and helped themselves to the carcasses but could not get them back over the fence. That left this girl lost, all alone, worried and wanting back in her pen with the Guineas. She'd just hang out in the driveway and around the yard peeping her distress peep and she slept on the hood of my car one night. I felt bad for her and let her back in with the Guineas. She's perfectly happy to be part of that flock tho, she sticks around with them free ranging and has no desire to fly over the fence and take off into the thick brush. Not many wild turkeys come thru here, especially now that the property is fenced so well, but if/when they do I hope she doesn't take off with them and take her Guineas with her!

"and she slept on the hood of my car one night"..............................awwwwww!

I just love those pictures where shes looking up or appearing to be on Guard duty. Wild Turkeys are soo smart. Wily too.

I used to have a pair. I believe the same breed as yours. Mr T was the toms name. He had all this bling with the gold and the green and the bronze..... He would sneak up on you with his Snidley Whiplash creeping motion all fluffed up.... the moment you noticed him and turned toward him he would flatten out and walk away. His girl was not as pretty as yours but she was pretty enough....

They both took to sleeping on a pipe that sticks out over the back door. My back door used to open into a greenhouse. I had it converted to a garden room. (took out the glass and put a roof on) This pipe had been used as some sort of plant support, it was bolted to the wall and made an Ell over to the support post for the roof. It was a very secure place to roost.... But Dang it was only about an inch and a half in diameter.

Every so often I would be working on my computer by the back door around nine at night. and THUD.... One of them would fall too fast asleep and fall OFF the pipe. Id turn the light on and whom ever would dust themselves off an fly straight up about fifteen feet to that pipe.

I love turkeys and want some more when the circumstance is right.

deb

Back
Top Bottom