Mycoplasma or something else?!?

Jksigmon

Hatching
May 1, 2024
We got 4 chicks from Tractor Supply who were doing great. Thenaround 7 weeks old we got 3 pullers (also 7 weeks) from a “hatchery”. I didn’t know about quarantining them and likely couldn’t have anyway properly. Well day two (a week ago) one of the new ones started sneezing. No bubbly eyes. Then a second of the new ones started sneezing and sounding raspy and mouth breathing. Now one of the first four is very lethargic but not sneezing, has watery but not bubbly eyes sometimes but not always. Now today a second of the old ones is sneezing constantly and wheezing and mouth breathing and is slightly lethargic. All are still eating some.

I called the lady I got them from and let her know on day two, and called back again and she said she’s seen it in her birds. And basically now admitted to having mycoplasma in birds earlier in the year as well as Coryza. I’m so angry at her and also myself for not knowing.
Does this sound like MG or something else? Is bubbly eyes always present. I don’t want to cull them all and start over. But also don’t want a diseased flock and never be able to get new chicks until these pass.

What does this sound like and what would you do?

Do you notice a bad odor from the chickens? I would start them on some Tylosin powder in the water right away. Can you get a local vet to help you get some? You can get it online here in less than a week.
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Unfortunately this is how many people get a disease started in their flocks when adding new birds. I won’t buy birds from other people. I did once, and my birds all died off after many years, but once I start a new flock, they will all come from a hatchery. You can try to get testing if you lose one by contacting your state vet for a necropsy.

Last edited:
I’ll see if I can get some from the vet. I don’t smell anything
Do you notice a bad odor from the chickens? I would start them on some Tylosin powder in the water right away. Can you get a local vet to help you get some? You can get it online here in less than a week.
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
I dont notice any smell at all. Dropping all look normal as well. I can try and get some Tylin. What does sound like to you? We want to get more chicks next spring, but if this is MG or Coryza I’ve read we need a closed flock completely. I don’t want to cull them all and start over but I’m not sure what to do.

Before you add to your flock, I would try to get some testing. There is testing available for sick birds through the state vet or from a lab such as Zoologix, which can test at your home for 8 different respiratory diseases. Your state vet may do it cheaper. You cannot assume what disease they may have without testing. MG is more common in backyard flocks than coryza.

Ok I’ll work on getting testing done. Especially since I’m not 100% that’s what it is based on symptoms. The lack of bubbly watery eyes is making me second guess.

Back
Top Bottom