Mycoplasma Treatment Success With Silkie Chicken Using Colloidal Silver Nebulizer

GratySilkies

Hatching
Nov 1, 2022
Hi! Just wanted to share what I did to treat my silkie hen who was suffering from a very bad case of Mycoplasma / upper respiratory infection .. short version I bought a portable nebulizer on Amazon (ASOMI brand $44) I had some Equisilver Respiratory Solution also from Amazon for my horse (treated his heaves with this + horse nebulizer!) Her eyes were swollen / foamy and she had horrible clear thick mucus coming out of her nostrils mixing with dirt and food making it hard to breathe so I would wrap her in a towel and hold her facing down in the kitchen sink with warm water coming out in the spray function and I would position one of the tiny streams of water in each nostril flushing it completely, holding her facing down allowed the water to run out of her mouth and not drown her .. when I did this clear mucus poured out of her eyes! Once she was free of mucus and debris I would dry her then put her in a little Tupperware with the nebulizer / silver solution (sometimes I added a little saline solution not sure why other than that’s what I read most people nebulize with lol but you can do straight silver too) I would put her in there for around 10 min or until the full dose of solution ran out everyday and less than a week later she was totally back to normal! I would also use these herbs from Faith & Farms- Herbin' Well-Being Chicken Herb Supplement- I would use hot water to make a tea with the herbs let it steep and then add their crumble to the tea! Longer version- my silkie is 8 years old and was born with a deformed / crooked beak making her more susceptible to respiratory issues also I think she was a runt so not the best immune system and stays chronically thin despite eating all the time a very good diet .. she has been to multiple avian vets so many times for the respiratory issues (they test for all the different types of infections she has had) which is a far drive and expensive and always involves her having to stay there for breathing treatments and antibiotics .. I hated all the antibiotic usage so was determined to treat her naturally and low and behold it worked even better than antibiotics with no side effects! Now that she is better I may do the breathing treatments occasionally for maintenance .. Also these infections tend to pop up during molts so I will definitely do breathing treatments when it’s molting season! Also make sure to use low dust bedding (I use hemp and try to change often) Hope this helps other chicken owners realize that Mycoplasma or other respiratory infections are not a death sentence and can be cheaply and defectively handled!

Last edited:
I'm glad your hen recovered. If in fact it was Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), your Silkie hen will remain a carrier of the disease for life. She may or may not spread the disease unless symptoms reoccur during times of stress.
Here's a link: Scroll down to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG).
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044
Thank you! Yes that is what I have read! We don’t plan on adding more silkies to our flock.. we only have two total but two are enough stress and worry 😅💗💗

Back
Top Bottom