Mystery chicken...anyone want to guess the breed?

jenniescholl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
California
Hi,
I'm posting this for my friend who has what we've been calling a "mystery chicken!" He looks like a rooster. Back in May, my friend had ordered a bunch of Barred Rock and Golden Sex Link chicks from our local feed store, and she got home and found this little guy in the box! When he was one week old he looked just like a little blackbird with little feathered feet. His comb is a beautiful burgundy color- the photo does not do it justice. His feathering on his neck reminds me of a Brahma. And he has feathered feet like a Brahma. But the wierd thing is the hatchery (Belt Hatchery - www.belthatchery.com - out of Fresno, CA, if you care to look at their Breeds List) doesn't carry anything that looks like him. Is is possible to get cross-breeding at hatcheries? Anyway, let me know if you can ID this little guy! :eek:

Jennie

He looks like a d'uccle as far as most parts go. He has 4 toes, beard and muff, single comb, and a d'uccle body type. His color could be considered birchen. I am going to say a d'uccle (unsure of variety) crossed with a birchen OEGB. I say birchen OEGB because he has a dark face and such like OEGB.

Hi all,
thanks for the input! I'll have to take a look at those breeds. Also, here's a bigger pic of the chicken in question..that first one I put up was so tiny!

Jen
7259_aug_023.jpg

a black chicken crossed with a Millie Fleur d'Uccle will give that color , and you can see the d'Uccle charecteridtics: I have one just like that . VERY CUTE!!!! Probably a mistake at the Hatchery!!!
big_smile.png
Lucky You
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom