Mystery death

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 15, 2019
Klamath County, OR
I got home from work today and went out to check the quail. They were all fine, but low on food so I took their water and feeder containers, washed and filled them. Took them out, gave them to the birds. All 7 were fine. I decide to give them sand in a box to play in, take it out, I didn't notice anything at the time, but it *might* have happened by then. I see one bird playing in the sand, and I think there's not enough in there, so I go get some more sand.

One of the boys is dead next to the feeder, but the weird thing is, he's stiff, like he's been dead for a while. He can't have been dead for more than 20 minutes, tops. I don't see any obvious injuries, but he had some liquid coming out of his mouth and there's food on his beak. I took some picture, and it looks like he's leaking some blood from somewhere behind, but his vent is clean, and I don't see an obvious source. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 0807191537.jpg
    0807191537.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 0807191540.jpg
    0807191540.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 0807191540b.jpg
    0807191540b.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 0807191536.jpg
    0807191536.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 18
The quail I butchered last weekend were stiff within 5 minutes. It hit quick. You say none were acting strange? They are very good at hiding weakness.

Is he thin? Thinner than the others like another quail was keeping him away from the food? My second batch had intense competition between 2 of the 5 males. Loser was staying away from the winner and would rush over and eat while I was filling the feeder while the others were in the other side of the coop. This was at 7 weeks old. Separated after that.

What are the dimensions of the cage? What material is the cover?
Their coop is 6' long, 2' deep, and 18" tall at the front, down to about 14" at the back. Hardware cloth bottom and top, with wood over the hardware cloth on top.

Thats spooky. Is their feed seedy? Or have big/"sharp" objects ie big seeds?
I feed them game bird crumble, no seeds or big pieces.

The quail I butchered last weekend were stiff within 5 minutes. It hit quick. You say none were acting strange? They are very good at hiding weakness.

Is he thin? Thinner than the others like another quail was keeping him away from the food? My second batch had intense competition between 2 of the 5 males. Loser was staying away from the winner and would rush over and eat while I was filling the feeder while the others were in the other side of the coop. This was at 7 weeks old. Separated after that.
It was just as fat as the others. None of them appear to be acting strange. There are a few downy feathers around but I assume those were "chick" feathers being replaced by adult feathers.

I wonder why rm sets in so quickly, lack of blood volume perhaps. Maybe some kind of seizure was what did him in?
I wish I knew. I'm hoping that it was some injury or seizure rather than some mysterious illness that will take all of my birds. The rest seemed fine last night. I had to leave for work before light this morning, but I will be checking them again as soon as I get home. My schedule seems to be cleaning their water and food twice a day, replacing hiding and play boxes once a week (they're just cardboard boxes that can be composted along with all the bird poop).

I wish I knew. I'm hoping that it was some injury or seizure rather than some mysterious illness that will take all of my birds. The rest seemed fine last night. I had to leave for work before light this morning, but I will be checking them again as soon as I get home. My schedule seems to be cleaning their water and food twice a day, replacing hiding and play boxes once a week (they're just cardboard boxes that can be composted along with all the bird poop).
I hear you. One of mine has runny poops for a bit, but I've seen no evidence of pasty butt or illness. It's one of the biggest and eats the most so idk it's worrying...
I have had my 11 babies using a plant saucer with rocks/glass bubble bead things in them and omg they get everything in it. I clean it out at least 5 times a day when I'm not home. I can't wait for them to go outside. I just made a 5gal auto waterer for the aviary. Hopefully they don't muck it up...

Back
Top Bottom