Mystic Marans - speckled egg?

If you want the really dark eggs, then you need to look into getting BCM from a breeder. They focus on egg color more than hatcheries do. šŸ˜Š
To have really dark eggs the chicken has to lay less eggs because to get the dark color the egg has to stay in the body a longer time. If you leave your egg out tomorrow it will be darker . The air will darken them some. I have splash marans and I have someone laying an egg like that.

No.
The darkness and thickness of the coating pigment is hereditary.
Please read this interesting article from the French Marans Club Australia http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/finishing-touches.php "
Immediately after the shell is formed; osmosis takes place drawing the thin albumen in the egg, after which some extra pigmentation is added. It is thought that the longer the shell remains in the uterus the more
pigmentation is added. It's a known fact that the smaller, oblong eggs pass through the reproductive system faster than the larger rounded eggs. This is thought to be the reason why the large rounded egg that is
slower to pass through the oviduct, is darker brown.
" But the most important question is Are they the best tasting eggs in the world?

"Immediately after the shell is formed; osmosis takes place drawing the thin albumen in the egg, after which some extra pigmentation is added. It is thought that the longer the shell remains in the uterus the more
pigmentation is added. It's a known fact that the smaller, oblong eggs pass through the reproductive system faster than the larger rounded eggs. This is thought to be the reason why the large rounded egg that is
slower to pass through the oviduct, is darker brown. "
Eh, yeah, but still not the whole story

I got 15 pullets from Townline Hatchery too and was looking at Mystic Marans for next year. Good to know that the eggs may look more like a welsummer! I have 3 of those, when they start laying Iā€™ll post to compare! Otherwise Iā€™ve been very happy with my girls
Darn. Just came across this old thread. I have 2 mystic marans on order. I was looking to get hens of different shell colors to make it easier to tell who was laying which eggs. All my current hens are RIRs. I also ordered. 1 olive egger and one Sapphire sky, for the same reason.

BTW - How is maran pronounced? Is it
MARE-en?
MAH-ren?
Muh-RAN?
other?

Last edited:
Darn. Just came across this old thread. I have 2 mystic marans on order. I was looking to get hens of different shell colors to make it easier to tell who was laying which eggs. All my current hens are RIRs. I also ordered. 1 olive egger and one Sapphire sky, for the same reason.

BTW - How is maran pronounced? Is it MARE-en? MAH-ren? other?
I thought it was a new thread and was joining the conversation...Lol...Hopefully the 2 new ones will lay darker eggs.

Back
Top Bottom