Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Not to mention it is much easier to cull. You can see the jugular clearly. Did my first cull this weekend. Poor girl was not handling the cold well, and my NNs need to. The two Spocks are still here, and they are doing very well. 

Survival of the fittest. Though I had to keep the one I culled from suffering. 
I found it harder to butcher the NN. I processed my first roo a couple of weeks ago. Someone in the group had an NN to do. With the bird upside down the feathers covered the face so the chicken wasn't looking up at me. The NN had nothing to cover it up....I didn't like that I could watch him watching us. I have a weak stomach for this sort of thing. Maybe it gets easier??

I found it harder to butcher the NN. I processed my first roo a couple of weeks ago. Someone in the group had an NN to do. With the bird upside down the feathers covered the face so the chicken wasn't looking up at me. The NN had nothing to cover it up....I didn't like that I could watch him watching us. I have a weak stomach for this sort of thing. Maybe it gets easier??
It does. I cover the eyes with the opposite hand. I hold the neck straight while they bleed out so it's faster. They didn't look at me at all.

Definitely DOES get easier, but will never be fun. The thoughts leading up to the cull is way worse than the cull itself. I feel like I'm suffocating before I'm about to do it. Then I do the first, and I relax.

I put them in a cone, hold their head and cover their eyes too. More than once I've had one twist around and look at me and that one had to go back to the pen for another day. I'm a weenie.
I would do the same. Never had that happen yet.

I've only had to cull suffering hens and then boys for meat. I find it easier with the boys, as they are harassing the girls at that point, but I'm going to have trouble when it's time to process my Pennies (red sex links) once they are spent. I'd like to keep them as long as possible..

I put them in a cone facing away from me and shoot them in the back of the head, so no problems w/ the feathers or lack thereof.

Where's Kev at?

Hope he sees this.. I posted photos 3 weeks ago, and he helped me determine sire of some of my silkie X chicks. Brian being the dad of 2 of them (not exhibiting NN) and I wanted to give a couple photo updates.

Chick # 1 - sired by Brian

Chick now @ 3 weeks. Excuse the fermented feed beard.. hehe

Chick # 2. Kev thought sired by a barred rock. I was iffy, as chick was blue. I thought it was my Ameraucana bantam. Kev was right.

Chick is definitely sired by a barred rock!

Who's the dad of this chick though... Frizzled silkie feathers..

Which of the two above roosters do you think could be the father.

My hen sure gets around!! That's 3 different fathers in ONE hatch. Tramp.
gig.gif

They would be sibs or half-sibs --- her father is his father (if I'm saying that right).
Their father was this guy.

He was an awesome NNFGE rooster (molting in that pic), but I lost him about 6 wks ago when I was out of town and that nasty pack of coyotes came through. I lost him and eight bantam NN hens and eight splash Am' hens and their roo --- just gone, nothing left but a few feathers. It sucks, but I made the decision to go and stay with my Mom in the hospital and trusted the electric fence to keep the uglies at bay : (

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom