Naked Neck/Turken Thread

In fact the standard for Dominique calls for rose comb with a definite upturned point at the backend of it. Similar to the Hamburg comb. But I am not interested in that right now cause I want to know about barred pattern. Is the gene the same for all barred birds ?

Yes yes I know the difference between a Dominique and a Rock, the barring on the Donminique is less defined and I know about the size difference and all of that. But say you have a buff Orpinton and a buff Amerauacan the buff is the same color gene in both. I am not talking anything else the color or pattern. Is barring on a cuckoo Polish the same genetically as any other barred bird except for the slight differences in breed type size ?

It's(cuckoo/barring) the same gene. difference is due to other factors such as rate of feather growth(fast tend to make cuckoo, slow- barring) etc.

p.s. buff is actually not a gene, but a total visual effect due to combination of several different genes... a solid buff bird is actually difficult to make from scratch for this reason- the more genes you need to get into individuals, the harder it is. There's also more than one way to make a buff, so it may actually turn out buff orp is not exactly the same genetically for buff as buff amer.

Last edited:
Oh goody Kev to the rescue. And thakns for the information on buff although I was just trying to use it as an example. So I have been on the Poish thread and learned that three different peeps started projects making crele Polish which are so far looking like sex links. A barred bird mated to a BBR will give crele and of course further down the line the birds become more and more interesting. In addition JUST STRUTTIN is working on a laced crele.

http://www.juststruttinfarm.com/

look at the outstanding polish birds. I love Polish for their laying and looks and of course they are fun to cross. The idea of having a sex link breed is appealing. Can you comment on her projects please.

I have a question for our geneticists .  A cuckoo is barred right.  Is is just a term used to describe a cuckoo Polish or cuckoo Marans. Or is there any difference genetically in a Barred Rock or Dominique.  Is cuckoo barring with a fancy name ?
I dont know excatly have they are different, but cuckoo is usually smudged looking, where barring shoud be bars.

I feel so sorry for my Naked Necks cause there stuck in there coops with the snow we got, we had 3-4'of snow and my dad said this blizzard beats the 1978 blizzard.

Rooster cant do anything..

Last edited:
That just looks miserable, John! Hope everyone is safe and warm.

NOT A NAKED NECK!
... but this hatched here yesterday:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/742799/hand-raising-pigeons#post_10448584

I feel so sorry for my Naked Necks cause there stuck in there coops with the snow we got, we had 3-4'of snow and my dad said this blizzard beats the 1978 blizzard.
That's crazy!! If you have some grass hay, straw...something to throw on the ground in their coop that'll keep them busy for quite a while. Looks like they'll be stuck in there for a while :( Pretty birds! :)

My nn rooster is acting very lethargic and he is getting skinny. then i found some bumps on his neck im not sure if they are related.
sorry its kinda hard to see its in the bottom left hand corner of the neck do you know what this is

Back
Top Bottom