Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I'm partial to blacks. I have a few of all accepted colors that might be good to star with. I have several buff birds but aside from their laying ability, I'm not crazy about them. I do like the reds and whites but I will start and finish with black. My son intends to start a SOP line as well but he is partial to the whites so we will be friendly competitors.
smack.gif
love.gif
somad.gif

EDITED: Neither I nor my son have any allusions...we both know this will be a long and arduous road but most things worth while do not come easy.

excellent idea to pick one color you personally favor and work on it. some people get burned out trying to work with too many projects(I admittedly suffered from this...). A tip for good clear yellow legs on whites- add barring/cuckoo or sex linked dilution(gene notation- Bsd) to a white line. Bsd is excellent as it strongly clears legs on both sexes however adding blue and mottle on top of good old barring/cuckoo will clear the legs.

breeding solid black has the slight challenge- relatively easy to get solid black NN hens but not as easy to get mature roosters without off color in the cap/wings/saddles. but since yours already have some Lorp blood that might help a lot... or a good solid black NN roo.

There are pictures of extremely handsome(they all are but...) NN bred by Ed Haworth that won at a show somewhere on this thread..

Last edited:
excellent idea to pick one color you personally favor and work on it. some people get burned out trying to work with too many projects(I admittedly suffered from this...). A tip for good clear yellow legs on whites- add barring/cuckoo or sex linked dilution(gene notation- Bsd) to a white line. Bsd is excellent as it strongly clears legs on both sexes however adding blue and mottle on top of good old barring/cuckoo will clear the legs.

breeding solid black has the slight challenge- relatively easy to get solid black NN hens but not as easy to get mature roosters without off color in the cap/wings/saddles. but since yours already have some Lorp blood that might help a lot... or a good solid black NN roo.

There are pictures of extremely handsome(they all are but...) NN bred by Ed Haworth that won at a show somewhere on this thread..

Thanks for the advice Kev. As we progress, we almost certainly will asking for more.

You are absolutely right about the black NN cocks. I only remember seeing a few that were solid black and have not one right now but have several of each color in hens.

Last edited:
Matches our latest rescue, NN pullet passed, found her this AM.
not a surprise for 2 days she had refused food, water & Bugs.. . will Not do an autopsy.
will Not send out. YES I'd do it again if given the chance, she had a few weeks better then she might
have had

I am very sorry for your loss. I am glad you were able to give her a few good weeks!

Oh happy Day!!!!!
celebrate.gif
Talked to my son...He will be in Germany in about two weeks! He thinks we should reduce our project to one color and work together. I guess that makes sense...Wonder what color that might be?
idunno.gif
Just a guess but I suspect there will be strong pressure for me give up my notion of blacks and go with the whites. That will be ok. I'm getting old
old.gif
and he has his whole life before him.

For where hes been and what he's done, that won't even qualify as compromise to me.

Back
Top Bottom