Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Y'all are better guessers than me ; )

I have a pen of Plymouth Rocks --- Barred Rock hens and Blue Rock guy --- that makes sex-linked chicks. It is kind of sad to look at a bunch of day-old chicks in a brooder and see that most of them are male. Makes me sad and cranky!

You don't eat your extra boys?

Yes, but 'extra boys' can't be eaten fast enough or fit in my freezer ; )
I expect to get a 50% M/F ratio, but to look in a group of these sexlinked PR chicks and see 20 of 25 with the headspots (headspots = males) --- this was happening weekly!
I hope this year will show a better % of female chicks from the sex-link Rock pens. Otherwise, it would be silly to keep hatching from that pen : (
I have folks wanting only pullet Rock chicks and this was a sure way to be certain. With the % being so skewed last year, it was just a pain!

Yes, but 'extra boys' can't be eaten fast enough or fit in my freezer ; )
I expect to get a 50% M/F ratio, but to look in a group of these sexlinked PR chicks and see 20 of 25 with the headspots (headspots = males) --- this was happening weekly!
I hope this year will show a better % of female chicks from the sex-link Rock pens. Otherwise, it would be silly to keep hatching from that pen : (
I have folks wanting only pullet Rock chicks and this was a sure way to be certain. With the % being so skewed last year, it was just a pain!

I see, yes eating 20 chickens a week would be difficult!

A few pics from today

Audra, she was a sneaky one, but am 100% sure she is in fact a she

Cool J, (Jaxom's son) wanted him to be my main roo, but Shakespear isn't "down with that" lol

Jackie O, I think she is the mom of Cool J

Reba

Shakespear, son of Mensa and Jaxom

Think one or two

A few pics from today

Audra, she was a sneaky one, but am 100% sure she is in fact a she

Cool J, (Jaxom's son) wanted him to be my main roo, but Shakespear isn't "down with that" lol

Jackie O, I think she is the mom of Cool J

Reba

Shakespear, son of Mensa and Jaxom

Think one or two
As usual, really nice pics of beautiful birds!

This is our 1st Chicken Hatch EVER . . . When can I put shavings in ? 1 week old yesterday eat and drink no problems.

I hatch on a much larger scale so I won't touch this question...Sheer numbers might not make a diff...but it just might...tossed to those who hatch 100 or fewer at a time!
idunno.gif

I'm expecting a hatch of 340 + little black/yellow marvels on the 19th...
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I hatch on a much larger scale so I won't touch this question...Sheer numbers might not make a diff...but it just might...tossed to those who hatch 100 or fewer at a time!
idunno.gif

Wow that's a lot for this BYC, let me count what we've got.

4 bantys

and 10 LF

That's about 14 chickens, in 2 pins
th.gif
and now were starting hatching, seems better for chick quality control.

Last edited:
I have a question this is a large thread and sry if its been asked a friend of mine told me turkens are created by breeding a chicken and a turkey I've looked it up and found out its a lie but I want to know the origins of the Turkmen if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom