Naked Neck/Turken Thread

30 min west of Albany . My sons favorite is NN. He started showing his NN hen last year. He wants a roo so he can start breeding. He also wants to try and cross his NN with a couple diff breeds. We have some of his hens eggs in the bator now potential Silkie or EE roo.
That is a good hike from me! Too bad you aren't closer. I would gladly give your son a roo.

Going to retest for my cdl after failing it 2 times now..  Them DOT are such scumbags and are looking to fail you.  Should be re-testing soon once I get the bread (aka money) to retest.

We are really shorthanded at school on bus drivers. The transportation director wants me to get my CDL so I can drive a route but those DOT testing guys scare me!!

What color NN do you show?
He had 2 brown colored hens. The one he trained and showed was attacked by a fox and we lost her:( but he has her sister still. I'm not sure if that's his preference in color it's what we got in our order. I think he wants to create his own kind. This is his hen he has left. My avitar is her when she was a baby. He actually got points taken off bc she had to many feathers on her neck.

He had 2 brown colored hens. The one he trained and showed was attacked by a fox and we lost her:( but he has her sister still. I'm not sure if that's his preference in color it's what we got in our order. I think he wants to create his own kind. This is his hen he has left. My avitar is her when she was a baby. He actually got points taken off bc she had to many feathers on her neck.

That is a good hike from me! Too bad you aren't closer. I would gladly give your son a roo.
Thank you tho :) he has a roo and two hens coming from McMurry .. Do you know if he crosses his NN with let's say a Australorp and he got a NN chick could he show that chicken? Or is it a breed, breed. Does that make sense? I have a way of being confusing... Lol

Thank you tho
smile.png
he has a roo and two hens coming from McMurry .. Do you know if he crosses his NN with let's say a Australorp and he got a NN chick could he show that chicken? Or is it a breed, breed. Does that make sense? I have a way of being confusing... Lol
Do you show the NN at 4h or small fairs? If so they tend have no common knowledge about SoP NN. I do like the hen though.
I have 2 RIR pullets, with 3 red NN pullets, and 1 red NN roo, so I mix abit but it only works if all are the exact same color.

Do you show the NN at 4h or small fairs?  If so they tend have no common knowledge about SoP NN. I do like the hen though.
I have 2 RIR pullets, with 3 red NN pullets, and 1 red NN roo, so I mix abit but it only works if all are the exact same color. 
We couldn't find a 4H poultry program in our county ( Schenectady) apparently our county is one of the worst for 4H.. Actually the lady that did the P test on out chickens said she has been doing this for years and never had a flock out of our county. I don't know anyone into chickens and I grew up in a area where no one had farm animals. I had no idea what to do or how to do it but my son wanted to keep, raise, and show chickens so I'm making it happen :) I had to sign up to be a 4H leader ( I have NO idea what I'm doing!!!) but it was the only way I could figure out how to get him plugged into the showing chicken world. I'm still learning a lot about keeping chickens.. Although I've developed a love (obsession lol) for them too ;) I'm hoping I can learn from this site and trial and error being a 4H leader on how to teach him how to raise pure bread, show quality chickens. That seams to be a goal for him. But yeah we only showed in one small fair. We were so lost and had no idea what to say :) it was a learning experience for sure!

Thank you tho
smile.png
he has a roo and two hens coming from McMurry .. Do you know if he crosses his NN with let's say a Australorp and he got a NN chick could he show that chicken? Or is it a breed, breed. Does that make sense? I have a way of being confusing... Lol
yes a naked neck is a know breed, and you have to go by the standar if you want to show it, all though you can show any chicken if you want but you might not win or could get disqualified

the only recognized colors for naked necks are red,black,white and buff but like I said you can show any color

Back
Top Bottom