Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I have an incubation question...again...I've posted on other threads but would like to hear what y'all think.

Can you have shrink wrapped chicks that haven't pipped? I didn't think that's what went wrong with my first hatch because none of the chicks pipped, at least externally. I heard chirps for a couple of days, does that mean they pipped internally but not externally?

I was going to try another dry hatch, and only add water at 'lockdown' but after I set eggs this morning, I decided to try to keep the humidity up this time. Without water the humidity was staying at around 30-40% so I'm going to try 50-69% this time.

I have an incubation question...again...I've posted on other threads but would like to hear what y'all think.

Can you have shrink wrapped chicks that haven't pipped? I didn't think that's what went wrong with my first hatch because none of the chicks pipped, at least externally. I heard chirps for a couple of days, does that mean they pipped internally but not externally?

I was going to try another dry hatch, and only add water at 'lockdown' but after I set eggs this morning, I decided to try to keep the humidity up this time. Without water the humidity was staying at around 30-40% so I'm going to try 50-69% this time.
Yes you absolutely can have shrink wrapped eggs that have not externally pipped, you can even have them that haven't pipped at all (internally either)

Yes if you hear peeping, they have internally pipped

Last edited:
Yes you absolutely can have shrink wrapped eggs that have not externally pipped, you can even have them that haven't pipped at all (internally either)

Yes if you hear peeping, they have internally pipped
I was hoping you would see my question.
wink.png

Ok, I'm going with the theory that's what happened with the last hatch. I did bump the humidity up for the last 3 days but maybe it was to late.

I was hoping you would see my question.
wink.png

Ok, I'm going with the theory that's what happened with the last hatch. I did bump the humidity up for the last 3 days but maybe it was to late.
I don't know how to hatch w/o shrink wrapping in my brinsea. I see all the people hatching w/ them on the brinsea thread, but I haven't been able to no matter how much water I add. Hatch before last I had condensate on the inside "walls" can't get any higher humidity then that and still shrink wrapped. At this point I think I have 2 options, continue timing the hatches to assist, or get a hatcher.

Shrink wrapping is usually caused by opening the bator in the last 3 days of incubation.
The more you check on the eggs the more they shrink wrap.
It is so tempting to check but think every time you open it could mean one less chick may hatch.

Shrink wrapping is usually caused by opening the bator in the last 3 days of incubation.
It is so tempting to check but think every time you open it could mean one less chick may hatch.
Not in my case. The first hatch was a total loss b/c I never opened the bator, all were internally pipped some externally all dead from shrink wrapping.

Every hatch since then I do not open the incubator until shrink wrapping is already happening and I have to save the chicks.

I thought I was safe opening it since none were showing pips. I will try to keep it closed this time...

I thought I was safe opening it since none were showing pips. I will try to keep it closed this time...
you might also want to try and spray the eggs with a water sprayer every time you open the bator, but i also would not recommend opening it too much after they go to lock down ( day 18 )

i do all my incubation with no water at all, at day 18 i raise the humidity above 50

Back
Top Bottom