Naked Neck/Turken Thread

The only way I can get live chicks from my Brinsea is to assist the hatch.

I followed your advice a couple days ago and completely assisted my first homegrown duckling. :D It was too late for his/her siblings; they quit around day 18. He was shrink-wrapped, but I caught it in time.

For me I like LF more cause I like birds for meat and the back in Greece they love dual birds for eating meat and eggs.. I never got into bantams cause my culture thinks it's stupid having a small birds. I guess I jumped on the LF bandwagon..
hu.gif

Haha yeah I get ya.. like big birds myself. Bantam sized birds seem to be very common and popular in the USA- even the plainly 'useless' ones like bantam modern games..... extremely high numbers of those at shows! So if those are popular, why not bantam NN..? they'd have more meat and lay more eggs!

Haha yeah I get ya.. like big birds myself. Bantam sized birds seem to be very common and popular in the USA- even the plainly 'useless' ones like bantam modern games..... extremely high numbers of those at shows! So if those are popular, why not bantam NN..? they'd have more meat and lay more eggs!
LF NN aren't even popular let alone bantam NN at a show. People choose modern game cause it's "cool thing" and jump on a bigger bandwagons as a fab thing for now.

Yeah that's called gypsy face, as for color.. brown red is a hobby name for gold birds in the birchen pattern. Birchen is used for both the gene and also the silver birds with this gene. Confusing I know.... even worse, sometimes brown reds are called gold birchens. Sigh. If the brown is present over most of the body, chances are she has the birchen gene.

what comb does that blue have? if pea, then she could be single dose NN.. the blue could have come from the white hen, just couldn't her genetic color(s) due to the white gene masking everything else she has.

Be a little careful about claims of never producing non NN.. for example a double dose rooster over a flock of entirely non-NN hens would produce 100% NN chicks. I've seen groups with some birds obviously single dose(or even some non NN) in both sexes and the owner claimed they never produced full feathers.. I just smile and nod..... stick with picking out chicks with no or tiny bowties and you should be good.
All three have a single comb.

LF NN aren't even popular let alone bantam NN at a show. People choose modern game cause it's "cool thing" and jump on a bigger bandwagons as a fab thing for now.
I think people think NN will not do well, or ugly... so they do not buy 'em regardless of size. I had 1 before a LF it was a fun bird. I like eggs but also need to consider space issues... so I am kicking small breed idea around... but I honestly like LF birds best.

Updated: Take a peek, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/887488/documentation-of-my-project-naked-necks.

Looks like I may getting a double dose of the naked gene, from my current flock.

See that neck? Looks like the barring is coming through strong also. @Kassaundra I think one may be out of Mensa's sister.
Nice, I did a little reading up on the gene that causes the Naked Neck, and Vitamin A based acid all chickens produce in the neck area plays a role in birds having less feathers in the neck area in conjunction with the gene, makes me wonder what effect different levels of Vitamin A would have on NNs & nonNN breeds if any concerning neck feathers.

Back
Top Bottom