Naked Neck/Turken Thread

My first cemani/NN cross has hatched - and it's a naked neck! The skin is mostly regular pink, except for around the face, a big patch on the back, a small patch on the neck, and the legs are dark. She has hatched with completely white fluff - daddy must have dominant white. Ah well, one quarter of her offspring should hatch black feathered, according the chicken genetics calculator, so those will be the ones I keep from the second generation cross. Pictures to come of the little one! I'm hoping that other eggs hatch with more black skin than her, but we will see.

It's so hard to get the black pullet to pose. You can somewhat make out the emerald iridescence on the black feathers and the brown lacing on the chest.

I have sort of an odd question (it's actually from my husband): It seems to me that the NN Turken is cross-bred with other breeds to create mixes more than any other bird I've encountered on the BYC. What makes cross-breeding this bird so popular? What is the goal? Is it simply the aesthetics of creating interesting feathering on NNs, or is there an advantageous biological reason, such as disease resistance or heat tolerance, as well?

I have sort of an odd question (it's actually from my husband): It seems to me that the NN Turken is cross-bred with other breeds to create mixes more than any other bird I've encountered on the BYC. What makes cross-breeding this bird so popular? What is the goal? Is it simply the aesthetics of creating interesting feathering on NNs, or is there an advantageous biological reason, such as disease resistance or heat tolerance, as well?

99.9% pure asthetics and b/c you can.

I think I have discovered w/ Rudy the coat wasn't such a great idea, instead of one big layer (well actually 2 since he always had a layer under the coat, several medium layers of clothes are better.

Working on making a sweater into an outfit for him, instead of the 2T sizes I have been working with this one is a bigger child's sweater, I am using one 1/2 (front) of the main sweater body as his tunic, then taking the two arms and making a set of pants and sleeves. The sweater I am working with right now is pink and white, but if this works I have a wool dark green one I will modify for him, a little more manly and hoping a little warmer since it is wool

Last edited:
Kev, got another question for you. If you breed standard to bantum how do the chicks come out. I lost my std modern game rooster, I found a banty of same breed and color.

I'm not Kev, but it is just a size thing. It would be like a tall man and a short woman having kids, some would be short after her others tall like him.

Back
Top Bottom