Naked Neck/Turken Thread

What color are your eggs Hildar? Do you have any pics?

All of our eggs are brown. I haven't gotten any new photos lately. I need to get some, I have all different colors. I have 2 blacks, 2 browns, 7 reds (3 light and 4 dark) , and a barred (Turen). Our rooster is White with black spots. Oone of our red ones is starting to turn more brown now. Not sure why she is changing colors.

Wouldn't also depend on the cross? I've heard certain breeds are more broody than others, so you would have better chances of a broody NN if it's cross was a breed known for becoming broody wouldn't you?

It does and also on the line. My experience with hatchery stock were most "liked" to lay lots and lots of eggs for several months before finally going broody. A few were relatively fast to set, a few just never did. Another thing I noticed was many would keep on laying if the nests were kept empty but if they had already been laying for months and the eggs happen to collect in a nest- say, you went away for the weekend, one or two would go broody. Not like silkies, they would sit on nothing or even a rock......

NN mixes were very variable as for egg laying or broodiness from horrible to excellent layers, from non broody to extremely broody.

Do the naked necks from ideal have bow-ties?

you're in luck- totally bare necks are pretty uncommon in general. Chance of bare necks from hatchery is almost zero. Seems more than half of them have the large bowties with lots of feathers covering the front half of their necks. So if you want one with a small bowtie instead of the "bib" style, order a few and pick out the keepers?

I would say a very strong majority of hatchery hens are buff or orangish buff with black tails. Usually a red colored hatchery bird is a roo.. there are red hens but not very many.

Here's my little cross:

So far from what I can see of the pipped one in my incubator, it will be much darker than this one. I am curious how this one will come out, what with the tiny spots of black in the fluff.

Cute! how's it feathering out? I saw a black chick was produced.. so the roo is het white for sure..

Kev, is dominant white a different gene from what causes "all white" chickens? I seem to think I remember hearing that "white could randomly pop up for generations" mentioned in a few sources. Obviously, I did not want to have random "all white" chickens popping up for all eternity, which is why I would just avoid solid white chickens.

But that sounds like something a sneaky recessive gene would do. Is there also a recessive white?

There's two main ways to get solid white chicken. The sneaky, recessive one that pops up is called recessive white. White silkies are recessive white.. so are the white legbars as Pyxis mentioned.

Recessive white is a single gene and it does a good job at making chickens solid white, it does not matter what color or pattern genes the bird has- black, red, gold, barred etc. they are all turned solid white.

The other way to make solid white chickens is with Dominant White. It's great at 'converting' black pigments to white.. but cannot convert red/gold pigments to white- leaving the red/gold areas mostly unaffected. Examples of this are Gold laced vs Buff laced, Dark vs White laced red Cornish... Red duckwing vs Pyle/ In all of these the only difference is the presence of DW- it changed the black areas to white, leaving the red/gold areas.

This leads to a neat trick to making a solid white bird using DW- putting it on solid black chickens- presto, solid white chickens. All it did was convert the black into white. White Leghorns are a classic example of this.

To repeat a little bit, in hopes of making it clearer.... let's say pick a breed and color example- Buff Orpington. Recessive white would make the buff orp solid white. Dominant white would.... have either zero effect, it would still look the same as any other buff orpington or possibly a shade lighter- a little more blonde perhaps.

Okay how about a black Orpington? Both recessive and dominant white would turn it totally white no problemo.

This hen's grandfather was Buff Rock. FI was Buff Rock Roo x Colorful Mottled Aloha - which gave me some nice sized solid Buff hens. Those were bred to a spotty Aloha rooster. (Would have to look at pics to see what his color was, but most are red/white or red/black/white.)

Chicks from that F2 cross (3/4 Aloha, 1/4 Buff Rock) would either be: a) Solid buff, maybe with a stray white feather tip, or, b) Mottled, brown and white, or brown/black white.

Never would the spots "make the jump" onto the Buff body color despite whatever the Punnett Square model would say.

Except this one time.

I wasn't able to do any more "controlled" hatching experiments last year with that hen,

Excellent, thanks for the breeding info! I think there is possibility the buff rock had dominant white.. from what you say, it is plausible DW 'floated' down undetected until there was progeny that produced black areas... I wonder if that hen is a light mottle, with the DW turning the black bar by mottle into white. The only real way to test this idea would be to put a black roo over her... if they produce white feathered chicks, this would be proof of dominant white.

As for egg eating.... try high protein treats- cat food.. egg eating can be a severe problem in some pheasant species, what some breeders do to save the desired eggs is give them so much eggs they get 'sick' of them. the idea being they don't eat their own egg right after laying giving the breeder some chance at collecting the eggs. Other use golf balls(but honestly my chickens just are not fooled by them) or realistic fake eggs. Roll away nests probably are the least headachy solution though.

Back
Top Bottom