Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Hey does anyone have a NN frizzle? If so, I'd like to see a picture of it.

this is a little roo i hatched hes 1/2 nn & 1/2 cochin

My EE/turken has no feathers on his "chin" or neck, so there is no beard. Is that pretty standard?

It's very variable. Can be anything like yours to more obvious presence, usually more like sideburns.

One factor involved with EE is the pea comb gene. It has a side effect of reducing number of feathers on a bird. It's even observable from hatch on chicks having both pea comb and NN- naked pattern around the face/beak and sometimes two parallel areas on the back. It probably makes it harder for beard to show up on a pea combed NN for this reason.

Both naked neck and beard are dominant but they also have a "dose effect"- birds pure for NN are more naked, birds pure for beards have fuller beards than their not pure beard siblings(beard size is also variable as in you can breed for size of them).

If beards is desired, breed them with very large full beards, breed a bearded NN cross back to a bearded bird or breed two beard/NN crosses together to hit on the pure beardeds amongst the NN.

Here's a NN with fantastic beard. Notice she has a single comb which probably helps with a fuller beard vs pea comb: http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/8/8f/8f1e095e_26636_100_3314.jpeg

Last edited:
It's very variable. Can be anything like yours to more obvious presence, usually more like sideburns.

One factor involved with EE is the pea comb gene. It has a side effect of reducing number of feathers on a bird. It's even observable from hatch on chicks having both pea comb and NN- naked pattern around the face/beak and sometimes two parallel areas on the back. It probably makes it harder for beard to show up on a pea combed NN for this reason.

Both naked neck and beard are dominant but they also have a "dose effect"- birds pure for NN are more naked, birds pure for beards have fuller beards than their not pure beard siblings(beard size is also variable as in you can breed for size of them).

If beards is desired, breed them with very large full beards, breed a bearded NN cross back to a bearded bird or breed two beard/NN crosses together to hit on the pure beardeds amongst the NN.

Here's a NN with fantastic beard. Notice she has a single comb which probably helps with a fuller beard vs pea comb: http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/8/8f/8f1e095e_26636_100_3314.jpeg

I love that beard. Mine has only small beards. Or at least a few of them do but that big beard is awesome. I love it.

I look at that bird and I see Abraham Lincoln.... I can't help it....lol

Back
Top Bottom