Naked Neck/Turken Thread

A few of my ladies have small beards nothing big, however it does make them stand out from all the rest. Would love to see bigger beards on them. This year most of my breeding is going to be just NN's so I will be, I hope selling plenty of their chicks and eggs. I need to sell something this year. We lost almost all of our flock of Legacy to a chicken thief, so I am down to about 7 hens, and 1 rooster. So that means selective breeding for the next few years to get back to where we were. It also means about $30,000 less income this year.

A few of my ladies have small beards nothing big, however it does make them stand out from all the rest. Would love to see bigger beards on them. This year most of my breeding is going to be just NN's so I will be, I hope selling plenty of their chicks and eggs. I need to sell something this year. We lost almost all of our flock of Legacy to a chicken thief, so I am down to about 7 hens, and 1 rooster. So that means selective breeding for the next few years to get back to where we were. It also means about $30,000 less income this year.
How sad for you !

How sad for you !

We will make do. It will take time to get back to where we were. Luckily I have Junior. He isn't the coloring that I want but he is sweet, just have to give him another 4 months or so then I can find him a couple of the girls. We didn't any more get the partridge color to where we wanted it and now I lost them all. Thats life, at least it wasn't dogs that got them.

Hi Turken folks! I got these three in the same batch from a hatchery almost 20 weeks ago now, and am pretty sure the white and black ones are males but wasn't sure about this red one. I'm really hoping it's a female so I can start expanding my flock with other little turkens and some turken crosses but some days I look at it, it looks like a female, some days it looks like a male. The comb isn't as red as the other two and walks with a more feminine posture... can anyone give me some hints? Also, I'm going to need to get rid of all but one male but haven't decided which one to keep yet - if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! Thanks! I've totally fallen in love with the turken breed and hope I can make more little ones here rather than ordering from hatcheries!

Hi Turken folks! I got these three in the same batch from a hatchery almost 20 weeks ago now, and am pretty sure the white and black ones are males but wasn't sure about this red one. I'm really hoping it's a female so I can start expanding my flock with other little turkens and some turken crosses but some days I look at it, it looks like a female, some days it looks like a male. The comb isn't as red as the other two and walks with a more feminine posture... can anyone give me some hints? Also, I'm going to need to get rid of all but one male but haven't decided which one to keep yet - if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! Thanks! I've totally fallen in love with the turken breed and hope I can make more little ones here rather than ordering from hatcheries!

Yeah the red one looks like a girl

Thanks! That's what I was hoping for - I started wondering with the feathers toward her back end looking a bit like saddle feathers but I'm still relatively new to the backyard chicken game and am far from an expert at identifying who's what around there.

Hi and welcome to the club! Nice looking birds!

Bad news- all three are males.. those are saddle feathers and also roo sickle feathers in tail on that red one.

Which one to keep depends on what your goals are. Everyone has different tastes and goals.

My observations: the red one seems closest to the show standard type. Is he meatier or heavy for his size He seems either meaty(which is great for dual purpose breeding) or it;s just his feathers are long making him look heavy. His color is probably the most common color from hatchery NN stock. He is not pure for the naked neck gene.

Second one: pure for NN. can't tell if he is truly bare necked or has a tiny bowtie with feathers missing/broken off(pretty common thing to happen, don't worry). True total bare necks, right from hatch- zero down on neck are uncommon, especially from hatchery stock. I would recommend this one if it's a true bare neck and want more of it, you will be hard pressed to find another, especially in dual/LF size. He has the breeding advantage of throwing 100% NN chicks, even if the hens are not naked necked(the chicks out of those would have the large bowties like the other two). His color is also rather uncommon for hatchery stock. So if you like the black and white color, he would be the one to keep for sure as Silver is a dominant gene. He might be half silver half gold- which would mean he produces chicks in a wide range of colors and patterns.

Third one: I just think he has a pleasing type. Chances are he will turn out to be a very nice looking roo. Not pure for NN- him and the red one will throw half NN half not NN if bred with non-NN hens. at least half of his chicks will grow up black/brown or black/white in similar pattern.

Not an easy choice... if it's not absolutely necessary to cull down to one roo, would be great to keep two or even three if there are enough hens. ;)

Back
Top Bottom