Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Tonight I'm filling my incubator for a Valentine's Day hatch. Some of my young pullets are laying fertile eggs, so I'm putting them in, too. The only rooster they have been with is my NN. I'm beyond excited for some little turken babies. I told DH that I would be selling all the chicks from this hatch,but if there are NNs in the mix I'll have to keep some...chicken math wins again.

Tonight I'm filling my incubator for a Valentine's Day hatch. Some of my young pullets are laying fertile eggs, so I'm putting them in, too. The only rooster they have been with is my NN. I'm beyond excited for some little turken babies. I told DH that I would be selling all the chicks from this hatch,but if there are NNs in the mix I'll have to keep some...chicken math wins again.
X2!! I hope i get NN eggs out my VAL eggs!!!

(My teenage judge jokes that they're cute and fuzzy when young, but look an awful lot like our desert turkey vultures when they get older, so they're born to be AZ natives.
roll.png
)

toss treats around him and go "oh look, vultures are circling you..."

This time of year, I envy you folks who live in warmer climates but in our short summer, I'm glad to be here!!!

Yes, WV is called Mid-Atlantic but the difference in temps, both night and day is dramatic. I don't remember

a night, even in the middle of summer that a quilt didn't feel good when the sun goes down.

I'm seeing some very fine looking birds showing up on the NN pages and from what I can see,

the NN is getting more and more popular. A little bit of that is a good thing..too much can be a curse.

your year round climate is way too cold!! lol I will say it is extremely nice visiting friends and family up in the mountains or San Diego during summers.... it's often not very fun coming home during this time..

Quilts are the best, can't stand the puffy comforter things sold in stores nowadays. I'm fortunate to have relatives and a friend who like to quilt.

I'm thrilled to see pictures of other NN.. wonderful to see people enjoying them or doing projects. I like it when people defy expectations but at the same time, would like to see more of the show bred stock...

Hey!!!! I met with a friend yesterday to hand over a massive set of eggs for incubating. It's purely a coincidence but they are due on Valentine's day- we're doing a hatch-a-long!
highfive.gif

most of the chicks will be mineminemine lol

your year round climate is way too cold!! lol I will say it is extremely nice visiting friends and family up in the mountains or San Diego during summers.... it's often not very fun coming home during this time..

Quilts are the best, can't stand the puffy comforter things sold in stores nowadays. I'm fortunate to have relatives and a friend who like to quilt.

I'm thrilled to see pictures of other NN.. wonderful to see people enjoying them or doing projects. I like it when people defy expectations but at the same time, would like to see more of the show bred stock...

We're working on White NNs for Conformation. We started by thinking we could work on two or three colors at one time but it soon became an unrealistic chore. Jason decided that White is the color had made the most advances so that'ts where we will concentrate all efforts.

I'm finding more satisfaction playing with the meat projects and I know I will stay with that.

I'm really happy that we cut out our eggs 'business' as this move has given us so much more time and is actually saving money. For the first time, I actually feel retired.

As for the weather, I think we average out pretty well; we don't worry about losing birds from heat or cold to any degree and it's much easier to lube up 4 or 5 cocks with Kendall Udder cream than perhaps 25 to 30 cocks/cockerels during the really cold drops.

Oh...It think it will be just me and my daughter working on the projects, (not counting Aaron) because I think Jason is going to apply to WVU for 2015-16 semester. It's a little more than 1.5 hours to to Morgantown but it would be unfair to expect him to show up here, except holidays.

Last edited:
Hey!!!! I met with a friend yesterday to hand over a massive set of eggs for incubating. It's purely a coincidence but they are due on Valentine's day- we're doing a hatch-a-long!
highfive.gif

most of the chicks will be mineminemine lol

Yup - that's called double stackin

and "the beast" takes 150 eggs single stacked....

There are 77 in my styrofoam incubator. Surely some Turkens in there, and some will be infertile, so I'll pull them out at 7 days and there will be room for everyone to hatch on Valentine's day.

Back
Top Bottom