Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Be great if this one turns out to be a pullet and lays blue eggs........ Need a Jesse though!

Is there a chance for the last one to turn out solid buff or barred buff?

I'm guessing solid buff on that last one. It's showing the least amount of variation in color in the incoming feathers and between the fluff and feathers. But...since this is my first experience with the breed...what the heck do I know?
wink.png

It's the chipmunk-colored ones that are really perplexing me. They just seem to be having an identity crisis with all their color variations.

My big guy. I am fighting the urge to get rid of him in hopes of 50/50 NN chicks. He's such a jerk to the other birds though.

Last edited:
Yea. He's not acting like good breeding stock. It's just unfortunate that i have 2 remaining roosters and 1 is a great LF turken and the other is a mutt bantam. I may sell my 2 roosters and get one of my show girl roosters back.

I am going to have to get some photos for you all to look at later this week of my NN's my older girl Turken is much bigger then my 1 year old hens. Is there a reason for that or will the smaller ones keep growing bigger??? They run from her now that I have her out with them. Its like having a horse in a heard full of donkeys. Weight wise she weighs in at 15 pounds the younger ones are only about 7 pounds max. I can't figure it out did the hatchery in Florida maybe mix breed her???

I'm guessing solid buff on that last one. It's showing the least amount of variation in color in the incoming feathers and between the fluff and feathers. But...since this is my first experience with the breed...what the heck do I know?
wink.png

It's the chipmunk-colored ones that are really perplexing me. They just seem to be having an identity crisis with all their color variations.

They are very normal result of mixed color breeding. Little hard to tell right now, am guessing those might end up more or less black tail buffs- with some maybe having more patterning on the back of hens.

Solid buffs are not very common, especially those with no black in their tails- that's a genetic challenge.

I am going to have to get some photos for you all to look at later this week of my NN's my older girl Turken is much bigger then my 1 year old hens. Is there a reason for that or will the smaller ones keep growing bigger??? They run from her now that I have her out with them. Its like having a horse in a heard full of donkeys. Weight wise she weighs in at 15 pounds the younger ones are only about 7 pounds max. I can't figure it out did the hatchery in Florida maybe mix breed her???

ep.gif
15 pound HEN???????? that's extremely rare in ANY breed.... Sure it's not a roo? 15 pound roo is considered 'pretty big'. The only other thing I can think of is maybe some Cornish X blood running in her.

7-8-9 is very average/normal weight for many dual purpose breeds. So what you're seeing is exceptionally Big hen next to very Normal hens...

If I were you, I would be setting every egg from that big hen..... keep as many sons and daughters, pick the biggest son and breed back to her(this is how one line breeds). That'd be your way to preserve her very unusual genetics.

Last edited:
ep.gif
15 pound HEN???????? that's extremely rare in ANY breed.... Sure it's not a roo? 15 pound roo is considered 'pretty big'. The only other thing I can think of is maybe some Cornish X blood running in her.

7-8-9 is very average/normal weight for many dual purpose breeds. So what you're seeing is exceptionally Big hen next to very Normal hens...

If I were you, I would be setting every egg from that big hen..... keep as many sons and daughters, pick the biggest son and breed back to her(this is how one line breeds). That'd be your way to preserve her very unusual genetics.

Yeah she is huge. In fact my NN rooster is smaller then her. I had her in with Stormy my legacy rooster and he is big any ways, but she was fine with him, and I never noticed how much bigger that she was when I finally knew the other NN's were fully grown and laying I put her in with them and now you can really see the big difference in sizes. When you pick her up it's like picking up a big bag of dog food then you pick up one of the other ones and they are light as a feather. So my son ended up weighing them all and she surpasses even my rooster and he is 8.3 pounds.

I am making a new pen and coop for my NN's so they will be away from the BO's once I do that I am going to start keeping some of her eggs and hatching them out. I know some of her eggs hatched out last year around the US because she was in with Stormy and folks told me when they got a NN out of them. If they kept them they will be very big. Stormy is huge, and with her being so big the 2 breeds together would make a huge baby. She is only 2 years old so I will have plenty of time to have chicks from her. I think I would love to see more her size.

Yeah she is huge. In fact my NN rooster is smaller then her. I had her in with Stormy my legacy rooster and he is big any ways, but she was fine with him, and I never noticed how much bigger that she was when I finally knew the other NN's were fully grown and laying I put her in with them and now you can really see the big difference in sizes. When you pick her up it's like picking up a big bag of dog food then you pick up one of the other ones and they are light as a feather. So my son ended up weighing them all and she surpasses even my rooster and he is 8.3 pounds.

I am making a new pen and coop for my NN's so they will be away from the BO's once I do that I am going to start keeping some of her eggs and hatching them out. I know some of her eggs hatched out last year around the US because she was in with Stormy and folks told me when they got a NN out of them. If they kept them they will be very big. Stormy is huge, and with her being so big the 2 breeds together would make a huge baby. She is only 2 years old so I will have plenty of time to have chicks from her. I think I would love to see more her size.

And I though MY NNs were big!!! A word of unsolicited advice....don't count your chickens...you know the rest. Things have away of stomping on our plans so if it were me, I'd get her with the cock I like and get some chicks on the ground and more than I think I need...JMHO

Back
Top Bottom