Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I can pen up my NN girls for you before then.  So when would they have to ship out?  Monday the 9th?

Try to send me a PM last week of February to remind me to pen them for you!

What are they penned with now? Free ranging? The 9th sounds about right for shipping. I'll on you about 2 1/2 weeks into Februray.

Last edited:
What are they penned with now? Free ranging? The 9th sounds about right for shipping. I'll on you about 2 1/2 weeks into Februray.
Yes, they can be covered by any number of roosters at the moment. Which is actually better in terms of genetic diversity! I'm about to pen up the Sussex, so unless I put them in there a week or so before collection, most likely the Dads would be any of these boys:

And this boy is young, but getting close to that age - especially in another month -

And then there are also these teenagers:

Who may be sneaking on a few girls, by the end of February.

This boy, however, was sired by my Speckled Sussex / Buff Sussex cross roo. And this young chick is ENORMOUS.

So I may put at least one NN hen in with his dad, shown here:

Yes, they can be covered by any number of roosters at the moment. Which is actually better in terms of genetic diversity! I'm about to pen up the Sussex, so unless I put them in there a week or so before collection, most likely the Dads would be any of these boys: And this boy is young, but getting close to that age - especially in another month - And then there are also these teenagers: Who may be sneaking on a few girls, by the end of February.
That's fine you're right about the diversity on the chicks. Help expand the bloodlines. Just checking to see if they'd be spotty chicks.

This boy, however, was sired by my Speckled Sussex / Buff Sussex cross roo. And this young chick is ENORMOUS.

So I may put at least one NN hen in with his dad, shown here:

I love the colors of those chicks however this year I am not adding in anything more. I may end up losing my little game rooster, he came down sick today and he wont move so if I lose him it will be the last of me trying to raise games, then I am going to spend the rest of my life with just 2 major breeds NN's and my Legacy. I finally have a great breeding pair of Legacy and will be breeding them together for more better quality traits. Friday my NN's are getting separated and that way I can start selling some fertile eggs from them, and my daughters BO's will be kept for their eggs to be sold. I am thinking I may end up hatching some NN eggs out and selling chicks locally last year I found a place in the NC mountains that was selling chicks for $10 each straight run. It wasn't worth the drive for me but I have had many folks ask me if I had chicks. They all wanted some
big_smile.png
So I might find some fun in doing it and keep a few for myself. A lady last year wanted to buy Turken from me for $50. Glad I didn't do it now.

Paloma's old class up to the grade school wanted to be able to hatch some chicks this year maybe I can do it with them. Send up some NN eggs and let them hatch them. Even though I will miss that special moment of seeing them pop out of the egg. But I still will have some fun with them afterwards.

Anyone have frizzle nn chicks for sale (preferably 2-8 weeks old) ?
In NJ so if not local will need shipping.
Culls ok not looking to breed or show unusual colors/patterns a plus.

I love the colors of those chicks however this year I am not adding in anything more. I may end up losing my little game rooster, he came down sick today and he wont move so if I lose him it will be the last of me trying to raise games, then I am going to spend the rest of my life with just 2 major breeds NN's and my Legacy. I finally have a great breeding pair of Legacy and will be breeding them together for more better quality traits. Friday my NN's are getting separated and that way I can start selling some fertile eggs from them, and my daughters BO's will be kept for their eggs to be sold. I am thinking I may end up hatching some NN eggs out and selling chicks locally last year I found a place in the NC mountains that was selling chicks for $10 each straight run. It wasn't worth the drive for me but I have had many folks ask me if I had chicks. They all wanted some :D So I might find some fun in doing it and keep a few for myself. A lady last year wanted to buy Turken from me for $50. Glad I didn't do it now.

Paloma's old class up to the grade school wanted to be able to hatch some chicks this year maybe I can do it with them. Send up some NN eggs and let them hatch them. Even though I will miss that special moment of seeing them pop out of the egg. But I still will have some fun with them afterwards.

I've got to ask. What is "Legacy" that you are talking a out breeding. Guess I missed something along the way.

Just posting this now because with so few birds here, comparatively speaking, I have plenty of time on my hands and finally I feel retired.

All told, there are fewer than 100 birds here and that is a very manageable crowd and for as long as chickens are raised on this farm, there will always be Naked-Necks. However, my plan is (except for birds being bred for conformation), we intend to have nothing but birds WITHOUT straight combs.

I may be going through a second childhood or the first stages of senility but over the last year or so, I've become increasingly attracted to the pea, rose, walnut combed types and decided we could do as we pleased. It was an easy decision to make and to pull off because of our interest in meat birds like Buckeyes and Dark Cornish.

Last edited:
I've got to ask. What is "Legacy" that you are talking a out breeding. Guess I missed something along the way.

A very old breed and a large chicken. Very rare unless if you live in the North East one rooster can sell for around $2000 fully grown. I had most of my flock stolen after having people come in and look at them, so now we have a huge fence and 3 guard dogs for people to go through to get to them. That is what my rooster is in my picture he is pure legacy. Our youngest Cockerel is mostly red which I really don't want, however he has the black toe nails, and the smaller rose comb even smaller then his dads. Stormy weighs in at 28 pounds, that is about as big as I want any of them to get. Yellow to white eyelids, Black toenails, Yellow to white ear lobes, rose combs, and all girls have leopard spots on them or the partridge pattern. Their life span is way past most chickens, I believe it's due to the size. Many of them reach over 15 years old and still lay eggs daily.

This is Stormy from last spring:

His son I have in a video and he is just barely 4 months old and already as big as the NN's. Since stormy shed his tail and grew his new one it is now longer. Last spring we measured it and it was 3 1/2 feet long. Come spring this year he gets weighed in and measured again. Stormy size wise is what we want however he does not have all black toe nails. He has mostly yellow toe nails which doesn't make him the best quality. But he has passed the black toenails off to his sons and daughters.

Back
Top Bottom