Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Well the one chick is all this broody mom is getting. I opened the eggs tonight after all day of nothing (I listened no peeping like they were before) they were fully formed, fully developed and internally pipped, just didn't hatch, dead in the shells. I thought I should do something this morning, but didn't listen to my gut. Last night they were peeping and pecking in the shells, this morning the eggs were silent.

Over the weekend I hatched out a dozen NN chicks. They are so cute that it is going to be really hard deciding which ones NOT to keep. LOL I picked out 4, but some could be cockerels so I suppose I should keep a few more just to ensure I get some hens.
wink.png

I must remember to take some pictures!

How about keeping , ... I dunno.... say 12 to MAKE SURE you get some hens
hide.gif

I was only supposed to keep five of my chicks since I have both limited space and time. Hubby wants to keep some of the Ameraucana crosses that aren't NN (they are pretty cute) so we'll see. I guess it all depends on how many I can sell before Easter. Last hatch I was going to keep 8, but I had a buyer for most of my hatch so I just kept two.

So if I eventually add some EEs in with my NNs their offspring would be NNs that might lay colored eggs?

So if I eventually add some EEs in with my NNs their offspring would be NNs that might lay colored eggs?
You should get a mix as long as the EEs carry the O gene.

With EEs you can get OO, Oo & oo birds so if you want the blue gene you will need to work up a breeding program, do test breeding for the O gene in your roos and the hens you wish to breed. Record keeping will help you. The gene is close to the pea comb but honestly there are lots of single comb breeds around the globe with the O gene, as the English say "the proof is in the pudding" when it comes to what a pullet will lay.

Good luck on your project.
smile.png

I didn't want to have to handle chicks this year with my health getting bad this year, however I lost one of my NN's today my pretty Ebony black with black feat and neck, and I may end up losing one of my white egg laying red girls, she is tore up pretty bad. We had a possum get in my son has not been checking the coop daily like he is suppose to. So now I will have to hatch out some eggs and hope to get some black chicks to replace my girl that died today. So looks like it will be chick time for me again, I really didn't want this but I cant afford to lose any. To replace just 1 hen is about $100 locally, so I am better off just hatching a few. Who knows maybe I will get me an extra rooster.

I didn't want to have to handle chicks this year with my health getting bad this year, however I lost one of my NN's today my pretty Ebony black with black feat and neck, and I may end up losing one of my white egg laying red girls, she is tore up pretty bad. We had a possum get in my son has not been checking the coop daily like he is suppose to. So now I will have to hatch out some eggs and hope to get some black chicks to replace my girl that died today. So looks like it will be chick time for me again, I really didn't want this but I cant afford to lose any. To replace just 1 hen is about $100 locally, so I am better off just hatching a few. Who knows maybe I will get me an extra rooster.

Sorry to hear a out your loss. Hopefully you can find some eggs to hatch soon.

Sorry to hear a out your loss. Hopefully you can find some eggs to hatch soon.
I am soooo sorry to hear that I wish I could help but I can't something I can do is give you some advice, go to Murdoch's and reserve some turkens naked neck because in Helena their only 3.99

Back
Top Bottom