Naked Neck/Turken Thread

It will be easy to keep it floating along if the gene is linked to pea comb. It's easier to be sure by keeping only the pea combed pullets and check for egg color each generation.

BTW one of the chicks from blue eggs is a pullet. Probably keep her until she lays to check if her eggs come up blue or green...

Draye you have posted some really good looking naked necks. As long as you keep those pretty colored naked necks coming, egg color doesn't matter, IMO.

I agree. Loved the salmon roosters. You just don't see this color NN anywhere else...

Your dun chicks should come out real nice...

Makes me feel my blacks, red/buffs are kinda boring lol. There is a rooster that is of a different color- he is golden mostly white body with blue and a weird rose comb. Even so, his offspring are coming up blue tailed buffs/reds or columbians...... not much variety! lol

Last edited:
Draye you have posted some really good looking naked necks. As long as you keep those pretty colored naked necks coming, egg color doesn't matter, IMO.

It will be easy to keep it floating along if the gene is linked to pea comb.  It's easier to be sure by keeping only the pea combed pullets and check for egg color each generation.

BTW one of the chicks from blue eggs is a pullet.  Probably keep her until she lays to check if her eggs come up blue or green...

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to keep the green eggs in them but seems like I've lost the leaving in that one line.

I am however jeeping a pea combed rooster from a green egg for a while though and may try to get a least one hatch from him. He's a half brother to the one NN pullet I'm keeping. Hoping its not too close inbreeding on the offspring.

Last edited:
What is it about NN that makes them popular in your country?

A person who used to be a regular here was of Greek ancestry, he said NN were very popular and well liked in Greece.

I've read bits here and there about NN in different countries and areas being held in high regard- some places in India, Africa, South America(many of theirs also lay blue eggs). A common thread was they did better than other breeds, including introduced "Western" breeds like rhode island reds etc.

Out here, they definitely are not "popular" but they are becoming better accepted than before. Sometimes when I sell my birds, the buyer will mention they had been looking for NN for a very long time and so they are extremely exited I have them for sale, some of them are just so excited they buy all of what I have for sale.

The more usual story though, is someone who came for something else- for me it usually was for peafowl, the person would have no interest in NN before seeing the birds- oh ewww they are so ugly! I do NOT want any! No no no!... and end up leaving with one or a few.

Another odd thing- it comes from all sorts of people, from friends of family or people coming for peacocks or other breeds of chickens just assuming really weird things about the NN... like they were feather picked by each other, they had mites, and in one case- someone thought I actually SHAVED their necks even though I'd shown him NN chicks not even a month old yet.

Well I like them because they make me smile... there are several breeds that I find special, they are one & I have had them. I really love the mixes that come out looking like vultures. So I think it is the goofy look. I think they grow on people as a breed, so ugly they are cute.

But if you research them, they are a good meat bird, easier to pluck and yummy... so people that know this and like the utility end of the breed value them for their meat and decent laying ability.

There are strains of game as well that are naked necked.

I have been raising frizzle NN's for 2 years now, mine lay a pretty olive egg.

One of the babies.

What is it about NN that makes them popular in your country?

A person who used to be a regular here was of Greek ancestry, he said NN were very popular and well liked in Greece.

I've read bits here and there about NN in different countries and areas being held in high regard- some places in India, Africa, South America(many of theirs also lay blue eggs). A common thread was they did better than other breeds, including introduced "Western" breeds like rhode island reds etc.

Out here, they definitely are not "popular" but they are becoming better accepted than before.   Sometimes when I sell my birds, the buyer will mention they had been looking for NN for a very long time and so they are extremely exited I have them for sale, some of them are just so excited they buy all of what I have for sale.

The more usual story though, is someone who came for something else- for me it usually was for peafowl, the person would have no interest in NN before seeing the birds- oh ewww  they are so ugly! I do NOT want any! No no no!... and end up leaving with one or a few. 

Another odd thing- it comes from all sorts of people, from friends of family or people coming for peacocks or other breeds of chickens just assuming really weird things about the NN... like they were feather picked by each other,  they had mites,  and in one case- someone thought I actually SHAVED their necks even though I'd shown him NN chicks not even a month old yet.

I realy don't know why are they so popular. Younger generations don't like them too much but our parents and grandparents love them.
They also say when you cull them they dont't have tiny neck feathers that are hard to clean like other chickens have. Also they are good layers.

I have only one problem and that is that nobody in my family like them at all so I will never have naked neck rooster and lots of naked necks. They will allow me to get a few of them, but I know how to get more of them in next generation and they don't know anything about NN genetics. I will get NN not Nn so every chick from the NN hen and nn roster will give me a Nn!

Kevin!!! 
You half plucked him????

:th

What???????? That's just cruel! I would NeVeRRRRRR  do thattttttttttt!!!!!1111!!!

NO no no no!

What I did was use Nair. Kinder, gentler but the bottle only had enough to fill a small bowl... so I had to lay him down on one side in the bowl half filled with it....  but he escaped and ran off before I could flip him to complete the beauty job.

Please do try better not to fly off and make such horrible horrible accusations mmmkay??   Not my fault Costco doesn't have Nair in bulk! Geeeeeezzzzzzz.....................

:rolleyes:  

Oh so now I get it. As the bottles of Nair are so small you only have enough to do the necks of your chickens.

It all makes sense now! :D

I realy don't know why are they so popular. Younger generations don't like them too much but our parents and grandparents love them.
They also say when you cull them they dont't have tiny neck feathers that are hard to clean like other chickens have. Also they are good layers.

I have only one problem and that is that nobody in my family like them at all so I will never have naked neck rooster and lots of naked necks. They will allow me to get a few of them, but I know how to get more of them in next generation and they don't know anything about NN genetics. I will get NN not Nn so every chick from the NN hen and nn roster will give me a Nn!

Haha clever idea on your part!
thumbsup.gif

Could it be nostalgia for the older generations? Now that you mentioned it, I'd forgotten about the annoying little feathers that are hard to pluck- the English word is filoplumes if we're thinking of the same thing. The NN I have sure don't have these.

I do find them to be good layers, even the bantams.

Haha clever idea on your part! :thumbsup

Could it be nostalgia for the older generations?   Now that you mentioned it,  I'd forgotten about the annoying little feathers that are hard to pluck- the English word is filoplumes if we're thinking of the same thing.  The NN I have sure don't have these.

I do find them to be good layers, even the bantams.

There won't be nostalgia for the older generations because we won't get rid of them.
They will stay, but we have to keep the egg production up with new hens. We will only get rid of realy small hens and the ones that don't lay at all.

I don't know what feathers they think about, because I never plucked or culled chicken, but I guess the ones around neck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom