Naked Neck/Turken Thread

See...now you've given me something else to obsess over...determining is this trend holds true for me too. LOL!

It could be a fun experiment to test!

It is funny though, as a common advise is against setting pullet eggs as their eggs are too small. I've not noticed any problem with fertility/hatching from those though.

Yes, I mean from the eggs.
Then I have a problem.. Her hens are realy old, I mean tge eggs that she set are from older hens because her younger hens that she bought as chicks lay almost bantam eggs. And rooster is last year's also...

How old? I have not noticed a problem with eggs from older hens, except those that are beyond 10 years, sometimes it seems the membrane in their eggs are really thin and seem prone to breaking.. which of course 'kills' the egg and the baby too if it was growing. Any babies that hatch seem perfectly healthy though.

I have not heard anything about the male/female ratio from older vs younger hens. That is an interesting question.

In chickens it is the hen that determines sex in the eggs so I'd think roosters don't have any influence on the sex of chicks..

How old?  I have not noticed a problem with eggs from older hens, except those that are beyond 10 years, sometimes it seems the membrane in their eggs are really thin and seem prone to breaking.. which of course 'kills' the egg and the baby too if it was growing.  Any babies that hatch seem perfectly healthy though.

I have not heard anything about the male/female ratio from older vs younger hens. That is an interesting question.

In chickens it is the hen that determines sex in the eggs so I'd think roosters don't have any influence on the sex of chicks.. 

Hens are about 6 years old and some are younger. Eggs are normal, I just read somewhere about that ratio and I don't know where.
We will see from this hatch because it is the perfect example!

Oh that is exciting! As for your question, did you mean from the eggs?

A friend swears that pullet and hen's first eggs after coming back into lay throw more pullets. Eggs laid much later in the cycle throw more cockerels.

I'm not sure how valid that is but after she told me that, I noticed the shamo pullet's very first batch of eggs produced all pullets, just one cockerel....

Interesting!!!

thought I'd join in. I have naked necks and love them they're great in TX hot summers! I incubated a batch of 36 out of which only 2 survived the other 32 drown.. I think... and 2 weren't fertile. I have a LG still air incubator with turner, and they were looking great up till lockdown. first one hatched no problem. I did notice it's fuzz was stuck down for a while. 2nd one I helped out.. I just couldn't stand it it was basically there. I gave in to my gut suspension that the rest had died and I was right:( the egg was filled with fluid around the chick.. so I'm assuming the humidity was to high in the end. I dry incubated and it never got below 30% even up 50% for a couple of days. but I had read somewhere that for hatching it needs to be 75 so that's what I did.. well anyway I got 2 brave survivors.. and will try again in a few weeks when I collect enough eggs.

thought I'd join in. I have naked necks and love them they're great in TX hot summers! I  incubated a batch of 36 out of which only 2 survived the other 32 drown.. I think...  and 2 weren't fertile.  I have a LG still air incubator with turner, and they were looking great up till lockdown. first one hatched no problem. I did notice it's fuzz was stuck down for a while. 2nd one I helped out.. I just couldn't stand it it was basically there. I gave in to my gut suspension that the rest had died and I was right:( the egg was filled with fluid around the chick.. so I'm assuming the humidity was to high in the end. I dry incubated and it never got below 30% even up 50% for a couple of days. but I had read somewhere that for hatching it needs to be 75 so that's what I did.. well anyway I got 2 brave survivors.. and will try again in a few weeks when I collect enough eggs.

Hello welcome. Sorry about you loss. You'll bounce back though it doesn't take long. In about two weeks I'll be setting some more NN. Also some NN and EE crosses.

thought I'd join in. I have naked necks and love them they're great in TX hot summers! I incubated a batch of 36 out of which only 2 survived the other 32 drown.. I think... and 2 weren't fertile. I have a LG still air incubator with turner, and they were looking great up till lockdown. first one hatched no problem. I did notice it's fuzz was stuck down for a while. 2nd one I helped out.. I just couldn't stand it it was basically there. I gave in to my gut suspension that the rest had died and I was right:( the egg was filled with fluid around the chick.. so I'm assuming the humidity was to high in the end. I dry incubated and it never got below 30% even up 50% for a couple of days. but I had read somewhere that for hatching it needs to be 75 so that's what I did.. well anyway I got 2 brave survivors.. and will try again in a few weeks when I collect enough eggs.
I weigh my eggs to make sure they are losing the right amount of moisture. My last hatch had a couple of chicks pip in the middle of the egg and then drown (the eggs were very large and hadn't lost enough weight). This time I kept my humidity a bit lower. I'm only hatching one kind of egg this time so hopefully it works out well. They are Marans-Turkens!

good luck to you. I did a dry hatch but still to high humidity so going to play with it, got some good suggestions to bring humidity down.. Rice, unpopped popcorn, and or those silicon packets so I'm going to experiment while I wait for enough eggs to be laid!:)

Back
Top Bottom